2 wheel Gravely's

/ 2 wheel Gravely's #1  

js5020

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CX2510, Kubota BX23S, AC5020, JDx300R
2 wheel Gravely\'s

Anyone familiar with 2 wheel Gravely's I recently got one and have a few questions on how the attachments preform

/ 2 wheel Gravely's #2  
Re: 2 wheel Gravely\'s

Used half-a-dozen of them over the past 40 years--what questions?

/ 2 wheel Gravely's

How well does the 40" mower work, I know there are alot of variables, but will I be able to cut at any speed hooked to a commercial 12? Unfortunately the deck isn't in the best of shape and will need some work and I was wondering if the effort will be worth it. I also have an open side square shute snowblower do these work ok, I'm looking to use it when we get at least 6" or more of the white stuff.

/ 2 wheel Gravely's #4  

js5020:

<font color="blue">Anyone familiar with 2 wheel Gravely's </font>

I had 2 of them which I sold couple years ago to replace them with a BCS 2 wheeler. Sometimes wish I'd kept them, although the BSC is far more flexible a performer.

Your 40 inch mower deck should work real good when "tuned up". Check the pulley driving the shaft (for the blades) as they can pull loose and wear REAL fast. Keep grease in the box. Or course, as any mower, keep the blades sharp. The finish cut on my 40" deck was excellent (as good as the cut on my 38" BCS deck.

The gravelies are very much worth keeping since you can do so much more than with a "garden tractor" or similar. That PTO sticking out the front can power almost anything you can think of (except lifting stuff). Gravely even produced a small back hoe with the hydraulics powered by the PTO. Duals will give it added stability for mowing on hills. I used mine for rotary plowing, pushing snow, tilling, mowing. They are excellent machines and well worth keeping up, even if you have to rebuild the whole thing (not too expensive). There are implements around you can add reasonably to increase its flexibility. Just remember, the older ones were designed by engineers to last forever and do a lot of work - they WERE NOT designed by lawyers, or OSHA, so be careful and use common sense.

JEH

If you will do a search for "2 wheel" in the general buying forum (the first one) you will find an extensive thread including a review of the gravely L models, along with discussion, lots of links (including links to gravely clubs/info/parts), pictures, etc. for the many 2 wheel tractors sold throughout the world. You have a fine piece of equipment. Add implements to increase its flexibility.

/ 2 wheel Gravely's

Thanks for the replies, I did follow that thread to it's end it was very informative, and got me started looking at these machines, I had forgotten they even existed. I need a smaller machine to do some of the lighter stuff that just to light for my CUT, well I got a chance to get one. Its a commercial 12, I also got a 40" mower, 30" mower, square shute snowblower, snowplow, rotary plow, sprayer, and a steering sulky, plus some odds and ends, most importantly the price was right,,, free. I am really interested in the mowers, the 40" to help with the lawn, the 30" as a brushhog instead of buying one for the CUT, and the snowblower also instead of spending big bucks for a front mount for the CUT.

/ 2 wheel Gravely's #6  

I'll post a difference of opinion. I had a model L with a tiller, no other implements. That thing was a real struggle for tilling. I sure tilled a garden quickly but my arms were rubber noodles by the end of it. Eventually it ate a valve and I sold it. It would have been much better if it had a locking differential.

/ 2 wheel Gravely's

Thanks for your reply, I'll keep that comment on the tiller in mind, I can imagine it being hard to handle from using small front tillers. I really don't need it for ground engaging work though, I have a CUT and bigger equipment for that stuff. I just plan on using it as an additional mower, pull a light trailer, pull a seeder, stuff one would use a lawn tractor for.

/ 2 wheel Gravely's #8  

js5020:

<font color="blue">Its a commercial 12, I also got a 40" mower, 30" mower, square shute snowblower, snowplow, rotary plow, sprayer, and a steering sulky, plus some odds and ends, most importantly the price was right,,, free. </font>

Hmmm. Price was right even if you have to put some money into it. Never used the 12, but when they stopped building them a few years ago they were still up to build quality as before (except for government mandated dumb down for nitwits stuff). Should be a good unit.

I too have a CUT (NH TC40 w-bh,fel, etc etc) but I like the two wheelers much better for some jobs. Plus you are "using up" a few thousand dollar machine instead of a $15k+++ machine.

DaveInColorado is partially correct. The tiller is not so good for "breaking" ground, although it does ok in reverse (backing gives you, in effect, counter rotating tines). Also the rotary plow (and tiller) require a large turning radius with those wheel/carriers sticking out front. If you use the rotary plow, be sure it is adjusted for straight ahead (using the curved angle adjusting slot next to the PTO connection). You will have to play with it a bit until it pulls evenly. When you get it adjusted it works fine and will provide a good seedbed on one pass. Also, be careful if you hit an obstruction-it can really jerk your arms.

Also, sometimes the lack of a differential lock can be a problem. My BCS does have the diff lock and it is handy-under some conditions. Another thing I didn't like was those 8" tires which can drop into ruts more easily than larger tires. Some of these problems are mitigated with duals. This widens the unit (good for slopes) and provides more "rubber" on the ground (can help with dropping into ruts, traction, etc).

The gravelies remind me of the older tractors. I had a Farmall Super C before I bought the TC40. Likewise, the gravelies are not as "modern" a design as, say, the BCS 850. Nevertheless, they are a first rate piece of equipment. Sounds like you got it right. It will last you your lifetime if you take care of it. I don't know how deep your snow is, but that 48" gravely blade will do a real nice job pushing snow, especially with duals and without ice under it. I preferred mine rather than the woods blade on the CUT. Of course, I'd had to clear a 2 acre parking lot with the gravely!

JEH

/ 2 wheel Gravely's

Using up a few thousand dollar machine instead of the big buck CUT is definately part of the plan, I put the most of my hours cutting grass and it would be nice to reduce those hours by having another machine to share the task. Also some of the other tasks just don't need 30hp and 4wd, and if I need to take a machine to help someone out it will be a whole lot easier to transport the Gravely. As far as the rotary plow goes I don't think I will be using it, my soil is mostly rock and my big tiller just bounces so I think I'll skip the sore ribs and just hook up the moldboard plow or the boxblade to the CUT to do any ripping.
My plan at this point is to use the 40" mower as a finish mower and the 30" as a brushhog, don't have a brushhog for the CUT and really don't need it for myself but ya just never know when it will come in handy. I have the dual setup for the 4x8's and a single set of the 16x6.5x8, is my understanding correct if using the steering sulky I will want to be using the duals or will the larger single setup work?
I was tempted to put the snow plow on the other day and give it a try but I don't have a set of chains for it yet and the plow needs to be painted it looks like it sat out for years and it's finish isn't going to allow for the snow to slide off it easily.
I gave the BCS tractors a look, nice machine. Maybe if I find this 2 wheeler usefull I'll modernize someday.

/ 2 wheel Gravely's #10  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I also have an open side square shute snowblower do these work ok, I'm looking to use it when we get at least 6" or more of the white stuff. )</font>

I've used my Dad's Gravely with a snow blower, and it did a good job. The main drawback with the blower is that it's kinda heavy and hanging out in front like it does, it's pretty hard to lift it off the ground. Basically, to turn it around I just left the blower on the ground and horsed it around in a circle. In a tight spot I could use reverse and go back and forth.

My Dad is gone now /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif and I just sold the Gravely a few months ago. I probably should have kept it. It was kind of a brute, but it could get a lot of work done.

Tom