John Deere 1050

/ John Deere 1050 #1  

grnthumb

Tractor
Kioti
Hi guys,
I'm looking to buy my 1st tractor, and have an opportunity to purchase a private sale, 1050 with less than 600 Hrs. It's late 80's, 33HP turbo, rear PTO only, 4WD, PST, 80 FEL, 2 spd gear trans (8-2) ,Ag Whls (lots of cracking in the walls), no signs of leakage, 2 owners.... he wants $12 K for it, and wont budge. I called around to a couple dealers, and at most it's worth $9K. There's pretty low used inventory available in northern NE, especially JDs. A buddy of mine has the same tractor w/out PST, bought it 2 yrs ago for $10K w/ 1000 Hrs. He says if you can find one in as good condition, they're (1050) better than newer models with comparable hours. We can all agree that it's not the deal of the century, but it's a John Deere. I don't want to pay more than I should, but I plan on having it for quite a while.
I am going to be using the tractor on 5 acres of somewhat sloping cleared land. I want to put up a barn for farm animals, and till for summer gardening. From what I've read, I don't want to under power my options w/ less than 30 HP. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks, grnthumb /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ John Deere 1050 #2  
grnthumb, try the link below. It shows about the same as the dealers you called. But if it's in VG condition and you like it then 12K isn't that far off.

David

MachineryLink- used tractor price guide

/ John Deere 1050 #3  
The price seems a little high, but it is a matter of supply and demand. Prices vary a lot around the country. I bought a 950 (next smaller size) with 2000 hours 5 years ago for $8600. Has everything you mentioned except the turbo. The X50 series JDs are really good tractors. If you like it and really want it, go for it. Otherwise, you might let it sit for a while and see if he will come down if it does not sell at that price.

/ John Deere 1050 #4  
The small 50s are a great machine. $12k seems very high to me as mine only cost $8K in '87 with 200 hrs on it. (2wd/FEL/6ftbox were part of the deal)

Maybe inflation has impacted more than I thought or maybe I'm just cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ John Deere 1050 #5  
On most of the 50 series Deeres, assuming they are in good condition, you will pay more for them now than what they sold for new.

/ John Deere 1050 #6  
So it's confirmed! I'm cheap... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ John Deere 1050
Thanks to all for responding to my post.
The JD dealer has a used 2000 model 990 on his lot with 414 Hrs, same pkg. for K$13.9. The 1050 although a 33HP, he claims, is 38 at the PTO. I'm wondering if there's any truth to the 1050 being a tougher made tractor than the 990. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
The 1050 owner that wants $3K more than it's worth seems to think so. A sucker's born every day, and I'm too old to be suckered. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I hope. Any opinions on the 1050 compared to the 990 that would justify his over the top price tag.
Thanks, Grnthumb

/ John Deere 1050 #8  
For that money I would go with the newer 990.

/ John Deere 1050 #10  
JD's sales brochures at the time the 1050 was new listed the hp as 37hp drawbar and 33hp at the pto.
(Yes, I kept my brochure /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

I'd get the 990 as well. The trans has more gear selection and a shuttle shift pattern. The 990 has a little more pto hp. I believe the FEL is slightly more powerful.

When it's convenient, we might replace the 1050 or simply add another tractor to do the bigger jobs.