pto grinds when engaging

/ pto grinds when engaging #1  

Caddo

Tractor
Long 2510
Hello everyone I am new too the forum and first off wanted to say hi all. I recently purchased a Long 2510 49HP tractor. This is the first tractor I have used that has an seperate pto clutch. The problem I am having is when I raise the arm for the pto clutch and try to engage the pto lever, there is some grinding that occurs, and the pto shaft starts to rotate slowly immediatly. One the clutch is released the shaft turns faster. Is this normal? I tried adusting the pull of the clutch lever so the clutch engaged with a shorter pull but did not notice any difference in the amount of grinding during engagement. Just curious if anyone had any thoughts on this?

/ pto grinds when engaging #2  
At what RPM are you engaging the PTO?
It should be right about at idle (1000 RPM or a bit less). Just have your foot or handle on the throttle if the tractor starts to stall when you release the clutch.

If it's grinding at a low RPM, it's probably unsynchronized and might be the nature of the beast.

/ pto grinds when engaging #3  
I sure think you have an adjustment problem somewhere as the PTO should not begin to rotate until you disengage the clutch.
You mentioned that you adjusted the clutch, but maybe you can find another adjustment near the PTO.
Follow the connections/rods and see what you can see.
After reading the first part, I was suspecting the clutch, but then you said you adjusted that. John

/ pto grinds when engaging #4  
The PTO on the Long's are not synchronized. It's normal to hear the gears when they mesh. It helps to slow the engine to an idle and let things slow down a little. Lift the clutch lever and wait couple of seconds. to shift the lever under the seat.

I don't have it in front of me right now but I can give you a measurement of the clutch handle to where it should start the shaft turning. It should be in the manual that you should have gotten with the tractor.

Just a note. Never leave that clutch handle in the up position any longer than necessary. There is a thrust bearing on that shaft in the tractor that can give a big problem if you leave that lever up to long.

/ pto grinds when engaging
Thanks guys for the quick reply's. Charolias just out of curiosity where do you get you info. At low RPM there is not much grinding it just seems like there shouldn't be any. I am used to a Ford 5600 Blue power special and it didn't grind at all. So far though I have been happy with the tractor just new to it and didn't want to damage anything.

/ pto grinds when engaging #6  
<font color="blue"> Charolias just out of curiosity where do you get you info. </font>

I own a 2610 Long. Bought it new in 97. I have to use that same hand clutch every time I dump a round bale. So I've pulled it up many times. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The dealer told me about the thrust bearing deal. I've had to adj. the linkage once on the PTO clutch. I bought a Jensales manual and it shows every part on and in that tractor.

If you have the PTO clutch linkage right the PTO shaft shouldn't turn until you release the clutch arm. You may want to tweak it a little more.

The recommended free play for the PTO clutch lever is 1 3/8's to 1 9/16ths. That's for the 2610. I expect yours is the same. About the only difference in the two tractors is the engine. Long made a simple utility tractor and just a few things have change on them since the mid 70's. Their motto was if it works don't change it.

Pretty tough tractors as long as you take care of them. I guess you know that tractor has an oil bath air cleaner. Or at least mine does. Change that oil when in dusty conditions often and that engine will run many hours. Just looked at my neighbors 510 which is a 1976 model I think. Has a little over 5,000 hours on it now. It's been a good solid tractor.

/ pto grinds when engaging #7  
ive worked on long tractors before tha pto grind is the nature of that beast . but i have found that on unsinkronized gear cases, thinner oil is a big help try out a synthetec oil in a lower viscote index <font color="brown"> </font> /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif