PTO pumps

/ PTO pumps #1  

gws

Platinum Member
Tractor
yanmar ym1810
Will the PTO driven pumps (hypro and others) pump a head of 20 or so feet? I was looking a making a water buffalo for my garden and would like to drive the pump from the tractor. I have a few old shallow wells and cisterns that would be a nice water source if I can pump it out.

Gary (N8EMR)
gws@redbird.net

/ PTO pumps #2  
I wanted to do the same thing but roller pumps are not ideal for this aplication. search under znla1 username I had a post on this exact subject with quite a feew comments

Rusty

/ PTO pumps #3  
Gary, I agree with Rusty; I don't think a roller pump is best for your application. You want to only pump clean, or filtered, liquids, and I just now looked through all my manual and find nothing about how much head it would pump.

Bird

/ PTO pumps #4  
This is an interesting subject. I'd like to get a pto pump too! Northern Tool sells 2 models of PTO driven tranfer pumps that they say can be used for firefighting and comes with a nozzle for pressure washing.http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1046&prmenbr=6970

It sure would be nice to find out just how well they do pump. The wifes stepdad has a 6 roller PTO Hypro pump. He was more concerned about the suction lift. In his case the pump is located below the tank so its never been an issue.

For water transfer I've had the Homelite 2 stroke 1" water pump (Northern item #109901). I think the 2 stroke model is great for light duty use. I was pumping water thru 300' of 1" line over a 40' rise in elevation. Reasonably priced, good volume, small and lightweight, only 14lbs. Comes with a 20' suction hose, strainer and an outlet fitting for using a garden hose. That little thing screamed till I smoked it. I'm now using a 2" 3.5 hp Briggs & Stratton 4 stroke model.(#10996) Someday maybe a high pressure pump to run sprinkler heads.

I've attached a pic just for grins /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif of the big ol' high pressure water pump (set up for extended running) being used down at wife's folks place. It was gotton at auction from the local volunteer fire department.

DFB

18-30366-dfbsig.gif

Attachments

• 5-51276-pump.jpg
    5-51276-pump.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 109