Rotary Cutter King Kutter Rotary Cutter Review

/ King Kutter Rotary Cutter Review #1  

Knight9

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2410 with turfs
Hi all,

Thought I would give a brief review of my opinion on the rotary cutter I just purchased. I finished up rough cutting the last of about 6-7 acres yesterday. I purchased the 60" cutter after much hesitation as the B2410 is suggested to only run a 48" cutter. I am very glad I chose the 5' model!!! I did have a few minor inconveniences putting the cutter together as the instructions and diagrams that came with the cutter are very poor. I also must add that the B2410 will require me to change a few pins on the three point hitch to increase the lift height of the cutter. I have not done that yet.

The 2410 had no problems running the 5' (although I must confess to going rather slowly and occassionally overlapping the cut where the grass was particularly high and thick /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif). The cut was quite smooth and the resulting pasture looks really nice.

I did back over a rock turning around once /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif and by the time I heard the noise the 8" stone was in pieces. Ouch. I shut down the tractor to check things over and one of the blades has a bit of curl in the blade edge but it is not bad at all. Other than that one incident all went smoothly.

One more note. After cutting for about 10 minutes I shut down and went and got my ear protection. It isn't quiet!!

Kevin

/ King Kutter Rotary Cutter Review #2  
Hi Kevin,

Sounds like you made out pretty well other than nipping that rock. I was wondering what was in your pasture and how regularly it has been mowed - in other words how much small brush were you running through, or was it mostly all tall grass. If there was much brush did you worry about your turfs much, and catching a sharp stump?

Rob

/ King Kutter Rotary Cutter Review #3  
I can relate to the 8" rock, I hit one that was about 12" and it bent the blades on my LandPride 6' cutter. The buggers are a bear to get off, needed an impact to remove the nuts. I have the L3410HST and it will cut up small trees up to about 2" without bogging down the motor, on tall weeds and brush it just hums along.

/ King Kutter Rotary Cutter Review
Hi Rob,

My "pasture" was bush hogged a little over 2 months ago by a neighbor with an old 100 hp International. He rented an 8' cutter and we split the cost of the rental and the Diesel. He mowed down all the old willow bushes, grass, some small poplar trees, rose bushes and everything else that stood up in the way /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. Thus I basically was mowing down some small bushes that he missed and then the grass that had grown up (anywhere from 6" to 2' tall).

There were the stumps left over from when he cut and I certainly "trimmed" a few of those a little more as my cutter was set a little lower than his. However I was not too worried about my turfs as a rotary cutter does more shredding to a stump then shearing. The end result is a little stump that is half bent and sort of mashed at the end. The only shear cuts are to items that are thin enough and soft enough that it shouldn't impact the tires (hopefully).

It rained here yesterday and the meadow sure looked pretty!

Kevin

/ King Kutter Rotary Cutter Review #5  
Kevin,

Hope the rain helps your fire situation. Been raining here off and on. Temps in the high 60's, mid 70's. Just pretty darn muggy because the ground doesn't dry out before it begins to heat up. Other down side is I have to keep going out every night and closing the wife's sunroof because she has it open every day and it only rains after she's asleep.

SHF