Honda 5518

/ Honda 5518 #1  

cmkh3

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 322
Is the Honda 5518 aws 4X4 a good match for the following needs.
Property size 1.25 acres
Mow between .5-.7 acres
Till garden 40X100
General chores like basic landscaping moving heavy objects towing a garden cart full of plants flowers etc.

I see one in Mi but that is clear across the country. Well OK almost clear across the country so I am trying to figure out if at $5500 it is worth a very long drive.

Thanks
Chris

/ Honda 5518 #2  
Verify parts avail on this machine - these things are really neat, well made, but they were a market failure, and few were sold. Parts (as was described to me) are technically avaialble, with a wait and high price.

You dont mention a loader, so wondering how you would be moving heavy objects etc. For perspective, a dealer in my Upstate NY area had the smaller model 5513 new-leftover for 4995....but attachments were really pricey - 48" deck was $1300, even more for the snowblower...

/ Honda 5518 #3  
Why were the Honda tractors a market failure? Consider the great reputation of Honda equipment. Where did Honda miss the market?

/ Honda 5518 #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Why were the Honda tractors a market failure? Consider the great reputation of Honda equipment. Where did Honda miss the market? )</font>

My guess is they missed the market because of price although i have never priced one. They used to make riding lawn tractors and sold them here at one time too. I remember looking at one at the county fair years ago and remarking to the dealer that they were were priced pretty high. His response was yea , they were priced so high that he had trouble selling them.

/ Honda 5518 #5  
I own one.
It should work well for the uses you have mentioned. I used to mow 1 acre with it before I graduated to a 'bota.
Now, it mows a small lawn and does some snowblowing in winter. The articulated steering is really great- you can spin around a corner in 4wd and not tear things up!!.
Surprisingly, there is excellent parts availability from Honda through their dealers.
If you decide to add a FEL, they are available but expensive and they are not compatible with the mower, so you have to remove one to use the other.
The 3 point hitch is category 0 and will definitely till your garden- just don't expect to use a 60" tiller!!
Chains for the rear are fairly cheap and with a set, you can go almost anywhere!!!
I can probably scrounge up a pic or two to post if you want to see it.

/ Honda 5518
A follow up question based on these responses;
Is it easy to remove the mower deck?

Thanks

Chris

/ Honda 5518 #7  
I have a Kubota BX2200 now and prior to the Honda, I had Cub Cadets. The BX is VERY easy, the Cubs were not too bad and the Honda is the toughest of the bunch.
The lift for the mower deck comes from the front hydro pump, which sticks out towards the front. This lift must make its way under the tractor to the deck and there are several metal mounts and spring loaded levers to accomplish this.
Once a season changeover is plenty. Now, if you were just dropping the mower and could leave some of the mounts in place using shock cords or whatever, it might not be as bad. I have never seen a loader mounted to know where the conflicts are.
I will say that this tractor is built like a battleship!!

/ Honda 5518 #8  
Apologies for the mess around the tractor- we were in the middle of a seasonal move.
Here it is set up for snowblowing. The 3ph blade on the back is a 4 footer, which is easily handled.
The lift points on the front are the same ones used for the MMM (only one is used), so you can see how much effort it takes to get that lifting capacity back under the tractor!!

Attachments

• 582274-5518_1.jpg
    582274-5518_1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 6,938
   / Honda 5518 #9  
Here is a Honda on E-bay you might check out.
Honda

/ Honda 5518 #10  
Very similar- but that's a 13 horse. Biggest drawback is that it doesn't include a mower- but if you could buy it cheap enough, I am sure you can find one.