International 574 "Engine Liner Kit" needs replace

/ International 574 "Engine Liner Kit" needs replace #1  

jpierce

Bronze Member
International 574 \"Engine Liner Kit\" needs replace

To start off, I know absolutely nothing about tractor repair. My brother-in-law has a 574 he states needs an engine liner repaired. He doesn't use the tractor and I was interested in how much it would cost to fix it??

Any help is appreciated!!

/ International 574 "Engine Liner Kit" needs replace #2  
Re: International 574 \"Engine Liner Kit\" needs replace

If you have no knowledge of the repair process and he has no use for the tractor, I am not sure why you would even ask. A cylinder liner replacement can and should go along with several other steps and proceedures. Without knowing more about the condition of the engine or your expectations of its future performance, the question is impossible to answer as posed. In fact, that question is impossible to answer accurately until the engine has been at least partially disassembled and inspected. The range of costs spans several thousands of dollars depending on a multitude of variables.

/ International 574 "Engine Liner Kit" needs replace #3  
Re: International 574 \"Engine Liner Kit\" needs replace

I have a IH 484 the engine of which I rebuilt last year. Sleeves and pistons are not too difficult or expensive.
You need to remove the head and oil pan (both very heavy and in order to get the oil pan off you need to partially remove the front axle bolster), remove the con rod of the piston you want to fix, push the piston out of the top of the sleve and then knock the sleeve up and out of the block.
Clean very thoroughly around the block where the top of the sleeve fits and where the rubber O ring seals the bottom of the sleeve and then fit the new sleeve (should be a push fit). You will not be able to re-use the piston and the sleeve will have come with a new piston. Fit the new piston and put the head back on. Make sure you keep everything clean and use use bearings where possible.
The above is a simplified version of what's required but if you get an I&T manual and take your time you'll be OK. Don't forget that these engines are HEAVY!