L3010 or L3410?

/ L3010 or L3410? #1  

paccorti

Gold Member
Tractor
TC35D with 16LA Loader
Hello Everyone. New member to the board. Been a reader for some time. I've test driven a L3010 HST. Really liked the machine. Felt very solid. I have 10 acres on which to use the tractor. Lots of mowing (5+ acres) bush hog the rest. Some light landscaping too. Hmm, maybe I'll even try to make a 500' gravel driveway myself. I've read some posts that the 3010 HST does not pull high gear well. I assume that is an anomoly and that if everything is fine the tractor should easily pull high range. Yet I have heard others acouse the 3010 HST of being underpowered for its weight (regardless of the above problems). If I'm going to spend this kind of money ($18,300 is the best offer so far with HST, loader and R4's) I sure don't want an underpowered machine. Is the 3410 worth the extra $? If I'm spending this kind of money I want the right machine. Does any 3010 HST owner consider their machine underpowered? If pushing against an obstruction can a 3010 HST spin all wheels? Sorry for all the questions, new to all of this.

/ L3010 or L3410? #2  
Its my understanding that they are pretty much the same tractor but the 3410 has the added power needed for the tough jobs. The 3410 also costs about $1000.00 more +or- to me I would go for the extra power but to me bigger is better. People almost never trade down always up in size./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Gordon

/ L3010 or L3410? #3  
I don't have an L3010 or L3410 and have never used either one, but I do have an L4310HST. I feel certain that if you took a stock L3010 with R4 tires, put a 400 lb. box scraper on the rear, and pushed against an immovable object, you could spin all 4 tires, even in medium range. Load the front bucket, however, and hydroinflate the tires, and it would be a different story. Unballasted, compact utility tractors just don't have that much traction.

I still think, though, that the extra money would be well spent on the L3410, especially if you plan to hydroinflate the tires.

Mark