Where to go for parts?

/ Where to go for parts? #1  

idaho04

Bronze Member
I have 1977 Ford 1900 4WD. Yesterday I started to hear and feel click-click in the front wheels associated with the front wheel drive. I suspect gear damage either in one of the wheel gears or the front differencial. It goes away when I disengage the front wheel drive. I am not sure how long I survive without 4WD here in No ID.

So I am thinking:
1) should I start with the wheel gears or go for the differencial
2) where do I get parts quickly when I find broken parts?

/ Where to go for parts? #2  
The damage could be in either place, start with what is easier for you to get at. As for parts, New Holland dealerships carry (or can order) parts for Ford tractors.

/ Where to go for parts? #3  
My JD dealer usually does not have the parts for my 1984 JD in stock. But he can usually get them from a distribution center in 1 to 2 days. Probably the same for New Holland on older tractors.

/ Where to go for parts? #4  
<font color="blue"> should I start with the wheel gears or go for the differencial </font>

Idaho04,

Being one to expect the worst and hope for the best, any chance it could be a U-joint on the driveshaft to the front end that could be the problem?

Hoping for the easiest, and simplest, solution from my end! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Where to go for parts? #5  
I agree with the guy drinking beer, look at the driveshaft cover rubbing (if equipped). Then raise tractor off ground and run in gear and listen to pinpoint noise.

/ Where to go for parts? #6  
Before you go overboard, lift the front end and check the front wheel bearings. Right now, you are only guessing, and you need to do a little detective work first and then get out the tools to take a look at what it is. If you have a parts book, then check for parts availability for the tractor. If you find that normal wear items are no longer available, then you have to decide which direction that you are going to go in. If it is bearings or universals, they are readily available in the aftermarket. If it is gears, then it can get difficult. Without doing the diagnostics, we are all shooting in the dark... It might be simple or it might be complex, but you won't know until you take the time to check it properly.... Junk.....

/ Where to go for parts?
Sure, I am only guessing at this point. I was just wondering if anybody maybe experienced similar problem. The front wheel jolts only if in 4WD and laboring hard. I cannot figure out if only one wheel is affected or both. It definitely does not look like rub.

I need the tractor every day so I'll wait with the repair. I will use it in 2WD. I'll let you know was it was when I find out.

/ Where to go for parts? #8  
Rock in the hubcap? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Jack it up and turn wheels by hand with fwa engaged and look for slack somewhere. You can place your hand on hub or diff with fwa disengaged to safely to find noise and wiggle wheel to find bearing slack. Good luck.

/ Where to go for parts? #9  
When a very similar sound and feeling appeared in my Ford 2120 about 10 years ago, I hoped for the same. $1600 later, the front ring and pinion were replaced. A couple of teeth missing. Only showed the problem under significient load. 2 weeks later, crunch crunch again. Once again ring and pinion. Moral of story. Those SPACERS setting backlash are VERY IMPORTANT. And this work was done by a dealer (not my dealer) who Ford later put out of business.

Jack up from end and take out of 4WD. Get a mechanics stethascope and put on front differential, and each of the wheel gear things(planatary or whatever). Turn the wheels slowly and listen. You'll hear the missing teeth easily. And remember, these tractors we call 4 wheel drive are not 4 wheel drive, the are front axle assist. A true 4WD tractor has the same strength in both drivelines. These CUT's don't even come close. Be gental to your front drives and they will last. I hope this is not your problem but my money is on the front differential having a couple of busted teeth. I still have my gears to remind me just how expensive the repair is . BTW I let a friend use my machine when they were blown. I drove for about a week since the problem appeared to come and go... wishful thinking , It was very real.

Andy

/ Where to go for parts?
You know, I have a hunch that you are right. I kind'a suspected gear teeth damage in the front differencial. I do work the front wheel drive hard on my tractor, I landscape, skid logs and handle hard slopes in muddy soil quite often.