Hydraulic cylinder re-build

/ Hydraulic cylinder re-build #1  

Scott037

Tractor
Kubota B21
I need to rebuild some leaking cylinders on my Kubota B21. I have read all of the posts regarding cylinder rebuilds, but my Kubota shop manual states that the o-rings should be installed using a "slide jig" and that the piston seal must be compressed to the correct size using a "correcting jig".

Is this just Kubota being overly cautious or are these jigs a must for re-building cylinders. I would like to try to do the work myself, but have no idea if these jigs are necessary.

Thanks!

/ Hydraulic cylinder re-build #2  
Scott,

I have never used a jig. But I have never rebuilt a Kubota cylinder either. I will be this Monday or Tuesday, I will let you know how I make out. Cannot believe they are that much different.

Gary

/ Hydraulic cylinder re-build #3  
Scott,

Just resealed the swing pistons on my Kubota BH. Here is what I ran into. First Kubota uses a pin to stop the ends from spinning. They are NOT included in the "seal kit". Need to find some tomorrow.....

I did have to use a ring compressor on one side to seat the piston seal. Once you compress it, it stays compressed. The o-rings and other rubber seals went on just fine with no "jig". Just be careful you do not roll them on.

Other than that, it was a very easy job. Just make sure you clean everything well before you reassemble and use plenty of assembly grease to slide it all back together. Two cylinders took me 45 minutes from start to finish.

Hope this helps,

Gary