Is 3120 enough for me?

/ Is 3120 enough for me? #1  

steveinmo

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere 3320 & Ford 861
Hey All,

I've been aware of this site for about a year and learned a lot from reading posts from time to time. We bought 10 acres of basically pasture about a year and a half ago. I bought a Ford 861 tractor shortly thereafter to do some mowing while we built our new house.

The house is about complete and I've spent too much time working on the Ford to keep it running. I've decided I need something a little more reliable and also need a loader to take care of all the landscaping that's in my immediate future.

The land is basically flat......a few small hills, but has really been torn up with excavation of the house, driveway and septic system. I've got a lot of work ahead to just smooth everything out to be able to plant grass. I have a 6' finish mower and rear blade. I know I'll need a box blade and probably a landscape rake to prepare for seeding. I'll probably end up with a couple of acres that will be finish mowed with a lawn tractor. I'll probably mow another couple of acres with the tractor and finish mower plus mow the perimeter of the property and around the pond.

So, I've looked at numerous colors and am drawn to the new Deere 3x20's. Sweet machines for sure. My question is do you think the 3120 is big enough for doing what I need. The dealer has priced the C300 FEL but from what I've read here, I'd be much better off with the CX300 so I'll probably opt for that. But do you think it has adequate power to do the dirt work, maintain +/- 500 of gravel drive, pull a 6' finish mower and make me look extremely cool while doing it? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OK, forget the cool part. I've spent a lot of time over at yesterday's tractors but am new to this "new" stuff so I would greatly appreciate any help and input.

Steve

/ Is 3120 enough for me? #2  
Yes, I think it will do all that and then some. Go for it.

You may be like me, and in 5 years be looking at the same frame size and upgrading to more HP, just because it would be nice to have more.
I have the Deere 4300 and like it a lot, but am strongly thinking of going to the 3520 this time around (but I could continue to be real happy with the 4300 too).

/ Is 3120 enough for me?
Thanks for reassuring me. I guess when you're about to pull the trigger it's easy to second guess yourself - "gee, is that going to be enough power or should I step up one model?".

Thanks for the input.

/ Is 3120 enough for me? #4  
Steve,

I agree with Beenthere. As long as your land is pretty flat, the 3120 will do a fine job. My only complaint with the lower HP mid frames is that they do not do as well on hills or in higher speed applications where power to weight means something. In PTO work and grading, that machine would easily fill your needs. The transmission makes a big difference too. Most of the 3x20's I have seen filtering on the lots so far have been hydro's. In your case, to get 1-2 more useable horses, your may want to opt for the PoweReverser transmission. They are quite popular where I live.

John M