Finally....got me a new tractor!

/ Finally....got me a new tractor! #1  

Mojoman

Bronze Member
Well, I took the plunge and bought a new left-over '02 cub cadet 2166 w/42" 2-stage snowthrower. Pick it up on Monday! booyah!

Now, I have a few questions since I have myself a nice, new shiny tractor, and have no real experience with the larger machines, or new ones for that matter.

1.) Is there a "break-in" period that the motor should be run without cutting grass?

2.) Are parts still readily available for this model or are most parts interchangable, such as tranny filter, oil filter, air, belts, etc? (I guess I should've looked into that more closely before getting it huh /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif oh well heh)

3.) How well will this thing mulch with what seems to be a shallower deck and only double blade?

4.) Do you recommend changing the oil right after the break-in period, if applicable?

5.) Are the bagger units made for the newer models compatible with this one? (i think I want a bagger, just for the first couple of mows this year)

thanks guys!

/ Finally....got me a new tractor! #2  
Not sure on the 02s, but other than you can't go too wrong with the manual, I can give my "better safe than sorry" opinions.

1. Probably not neccesary, but I'd give it an hour or so without a full load. The first few minutes of this I'd keep the RPMs down, else (to promote the continuous cooling) I wouldn't recommend any periods at idle, (other than right before turning the key off, or the 30 seconds here and there for whatever reason) even cool down I like at near full throttle.

2. Had a slightly larger one about 4X older and had no trouble with parts.

3. No idea!

4. Again personal taste, but I'd drop the break-in at 10 hours or less. Then perhaps 20 hours on it's normal oil; then your preferred schedule. Plenty of opinions, but for the RPMs and abuse on these machines, 50hrs isn't unreasonable; I think 100 is pretty typical too. At least every season. Keep the cooling fins "clean" too; maybe not every mowing, but often.

5. No idea here either!

/ Finally....got me a new tractor! #3  
Break in is a matter of personal preference.

I would recommend not cutting with the mower for the first hour or so. If you have a little cart, do some yard work and just drag it around at around 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. I would not let it idle for long periods.

Regarding break-in oil, I would tend to change it at around 10 hours as well. I would then put in a high quality oil with some of that Lucas oil stabilizer. Not sure it that stuff is popular or taboo on this board, but it seems to work well for me (it is a little pricy at around $8.50 a quart but you don't use a lot of it). Preventative maintenance is cheaper than repair costs!

From then on, I would try to change my oil ever 50 hours. More if the oil keeps coming out very clean, less if it comes out dirty. I use my lawn tractor for almost everything (no compact tractor yet) and so I try to go around 50. More than that, the oil is very black. Less, it's pretty clean. Your mileage may vary.

As for parts, I'm more familiar with JD but Cub Cadet is known for being good in the parts department. I wouldn't worry too much.

No idea on the bagger, but I'm sure someone can jump in here.

Enjoy that machine!

Mark

/ Finally....got me a new tractor! #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 1*Well, I took the plunge and bought a new left-over '02 cub cadet 2166 w/42" 2-stage snowthrower. Pick it up on Monday! booyah!

Now, I have a few questions since I have myself a nice, new shiny tractor, and have no real experience with the larger machines, or new ones for that matter.

1.) Is there a "break-in" period that the motor should be run without cutting grass?

2.) Are parts still readily available for this model or are most parts interchangable, such as tranny filter, oil filter, air, belts, etc? (I guess I should've looked into that more closely before getting it huh /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif oh well heh)

3.) How well will this thing mulch with what seems to be a shallower deck and only double blade?

4.) Do you recommend changing the oil right after the break-in period, if applicable?

5.) Are the bagger units made for the newer models compatible with this one? (i think I want a bagger, just for the first couple of mows this year)

thanks guys! )</font>

1*How can a 2002 tractor be left over for 3 years? Sounds odd to me.

Oil additives are a hoax and could even be harmful to your engine so I avoid them like the plague.

/ Finally....got me a new tractor! #5  
<font color="blue">Oil additives are a hoax and could even be harmful to your engine so I avoid them like the plague.</font>

I agree, sort-of. I don't believe in them either.

As for break-in period, I got my MTD 16.5 HP Briggs & Stratton home, fueled 'er up and cut the grass. Still going strong at 5 years now.

/ Finally....got me a new tractor! #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue">Oil additives are a hoax and could even be harmful to your engine so I avoid them like the plague.</font>

***I agree, sort-of. I don't believe in them either.
)</font>

Don't know why folks think the people making the additives know more about formulating oil than the refiners producing the oil do.