3720 Tires

/ 3720 Tires #1  

steve2005

I am getting ready to buy a 3720. I understand that most people get the R4 tires. What is the tradeoff in traction between R1 & R4. I am mostly maintaining a property that is dirt and pasture, but I may occasionally work on lawn.

/ 3720 Tires #2  
R1, AG tires have a very aggressive tread, or Lugs that can damage a good lawn. However, they are much better for working in soft soils and muddy areas because they provide more traction.
R4, Industrial tires are a great compromise, can be used with more confidence on lawns (in 2WD), and still provide fairly good traction.
I've used both, and am very happy with the R4s I have now.
John

/ 3720 Tires #3  
R4's are almost worthless in mud. Better for mowing and durability.

R1's will go where R4's won't (deeper in the mud usually).

Do you have muddy areas that you want to maintain?

/ 3720 Tires #4  
After having a L3010 with R4's for 4 years I have just switched to a tractor with R1's. I don't think I would ever buy R4's again. Unless the ground was completely dry I would still get lawn damage when I mowed. Then when I brush cut my hills it had to be dry because I was not getting great traction in the steep areas. I tried using the loader once when it was wet. I couldn't even drive a straight line in the muddy areas. The R4's just float. I decided that if I want to mow anytime I would need Turfs. If I need traction I need Ag's. R4's look good and that is why they sell so well. They are not a good compromise IMO unless you need to run on a hard surface like concrete or asphalt. Pick the one you need the most. If it is traction R1's. If it is lawn care Turf's. But I would not recommend R4's as a "good" compromise for either.

/ 3720 Tires #5  
This is an interesting thread! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ 3720 Tires #7  
I ordered my tractor with R4s it came in with R1s. They said try 'em and I could swap if I wasn't thrilled.

As mentioned the R1s had far better traction.

The R1s can be adjusted a lot more.

On the 3720 the R1s are 6 ply, the same as the R4s A lot of the advantage for R4s used to be in the ply rating...

R4s are better on dry pavement.

Too bad they don't offer the R1W wide radials They are really nice...

/ 3720 Tires #8  
I have never had r4's so I can't comment, but with my R1's and a 4wd tractor and liquid filled tires when I put it under a heavy load I run out of traction before I do power - on dry ground. It all depends on what you are going to do, but if you are going to be doing any plowing, you need all the traction you can get.