PARKING BRAKE ON INDICATOR LIGHT on BX Tractors

/ PARKING BRAKE ON INDICATOR LIGHT on BX Tractors #1  

Chuxster

Tractor
Kubota BX 2230
After reading the posts on the driving with the parking brake on problem, I decided to install a switch and dash light to indicate when the brake is on. Less than 1 hour to install and $10 in parts seems to be a inexpensive custom add on. All parts can be purchased at Radio Shack or similar store. I used a normally open magnetic switch from an alarm system and installed it on the underside rail next to the brake pedal horizontal lever and ran wires to a 12 volt light mounted on the dash and then mounted the magnet on the horizontal brake pedal lever so when the brake is pushed down the magnet activates the switch closing the circuit so the light comes on. Just look under the tractor and push on the brake and you will see how to do it. I used epoxy to secure the switch and magnet then I sealed the switch with silicone. This set up works well for me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ PARKING BRAKE ON INDICATOR LIGHT on BX Tractors #2  
Would have time to post pictures of installed parts. It would be helpful to visually see your accomplishment.

/ PARKING BRAKE ON INDICATOR LIGHT on BX Tractors #3  
Great idea! Pics would be appreciated. You might want to forward this suggestion to Kubota hq. Would be a good thing to have as std. equip.

/ PARKING BRAKE ON INDICATOR LIGHT on BX Tractors #5  
Chuxster,
I happen to be in the reed relay business. Regrettably the innovative approach you have taken is slightly underdesigned.
To greatly enhance the life of the contacts you will need to limit the current. The 12v bulb allows an inrush that will fry the contacts in the reed switch which I imagine to be embedded within the alarm switch you used. Incandescent light bulbs have very low initial resistance.
You didn't list any part numbers so I can't be sure what was used as a switch and maybe I am all wet with my assumptions.
The addition of a few more inexpensive parts such as resistors cap and transistor may be needed for long term reliability.
I am not an EE. Some of the EE TBN members could chime in and help with a circuit diagram and parts list and your approach will be a very good solution to the "I left it on again syndrome". Even better would be a Piezo buzzer and the light.
Best of luck,
Martin

/ PARKING BRAKE ON INDICATOR LIGHT on BX Tractors #6  
Just a follow up on my brake light switch setup on my BX 23.
Mud , water and washing and the switch system is working great /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif No more brake problem for this little Kubota /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif It has 40 Hrs running time.

/ PARKING BRAKE ON INDICATOR LIGHT on BX Tractors #7  
I agree a buzzer in the setup would help immensely. But in My case it would have to be a loud one! Also wondering if a flashing light would draw more attention. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif