Rotary Cutter How to best fix ridge around top of brush cutter?

/ How to best fix ridge around top of brush cutter? #1  

Billc

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 5400 4x4 with ROPS, canopy, 1001 loader, heavy duty quick release bucket with tooth bar, 280 Bush Hog brush cutter, 6' Bush Hog box blade, 6' Bush Hog plug aerator, 3 point hay spear, 6' Lands
It's been a hard year on my Bushhog brush cutter. It is a 286. It's a 6 foot cutter with a slip clutch...that's had the opportunity to slip alot this year. I've done several big jobs that were doozies...thick stands of 15 foot pines, etc. Yes, a 286 will cut thick stands of 15 foot pines. Also have found some pretty big rocks, stumps, car parts, a chair, etc.

I bought the 286 new two years ago. This thing is a beast. But I have a problem. I have a ridge that rings the top deck of the Bushhog. About everyone, if you mow long enough, gets this ring...or at least a part of it. This ridge has one place where it's torn through the top deck (i.e. there is a hole in the deck). I also have a spot in the deck skirt that has a hole (broke a blade and guess where it hit?)

It's time for the brushcutter to get a little r&r. Any ideas on the best way to rehab the decking?

Thanks for any info.

Bill Cook

/ How to best fix ridge around top of brush cutter? #2  
A big hammer and a welder is the only way I've known of. Sometimes, you can just weld small holes; sometimes have to weld a "patch" on.

Bird

/ How to best fix ridge around top of brush cutter? #3  
Bill,
Sounds to me like you need to install a blade ring after you get it fixed. A blade ring is a steel band that is welded to the under side of the deck. I prevents the blades from hitting the deck when you are cutting heavy stuff. The blades just slide around the ring instead of going up and contacting the deck.

18-32460-1250sig.gif

/ How to best fix ridge around top of brush cutter?
Thanks for the info.

Bill Cook

/ How to best fix ridge around top of brush cutter? #5  
a 286? Man thats an old model. You should probably upgrade to a Pentium /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

Alan L., TX

/ How to best fix ridge around top of brush cutter?
Allan, the 286, from what I understand is still made. I bought it new 2 years ago. On top of that, if you could see some of the stuff I shread, you'd be impressed. It's a real work horse.

Bill Cook

/ How to best fix ridge around top of brush cutter? #7  
I got it! Alan, you're a funny guy! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

JimI

/ How to best fix ridge around top of brush cutter? #8  
Hi John,

I just got a new 286 a week and a half ago and had a question for you. The Bush Hog vibrates quite a bit at most any RPM except for around 1,600 on the tractor (L4300DT). There is no way I could run the tractor at 2,400 to give 540 rpm at the pto right now due to vibration/shaking. I've looked at the blades and they look fine. I do notice that varying the front height of the cutter with the 3 pt lift has some affect on the vibration. Do you have any ideas on whether it's something in my setup or something wrong with the cutter?

Thanks much

/ How to best fix ridge around top of brush cutter? #9  
Jim,

If everything on the cutter looks good, check the PTO driveshaft... sounds like it may be "out of phase"...

Do a post search on this, I posted pictures/directions etc.

Very briefly, the tractor yoke end should match the implement yoke end. With the tractor shut down, slide apart the drive shaft and line up the yoke ends to be even, a square driveshaft can give you 90 degrees out of phase, a triangle shaft will give you 120 degrees out of phase.

Any PTO driveshaft out of phase will cause this dangerous shaking/shimmying/vibrating...

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ How to best fix ridge around top of brush cutter? #10  
John,

Thanks for the reply. I have no idea why I addressed it to you, I meant to address it to Bill C. hehe Brain fart I guess, but it sounds like you have a good answer for me so it worked out fine!

Thanks...

Jim in N. FL