Kubota L225 comments wanted

/ Kubota L225 comments wanted #1  

mike_wa

Hello, I normally frequent the Cub forum but need the advice of some Kubota experts.

There is a Kubota L225 down the highway from me that has an FEL on it, just under 1000 hours, 2 wheel drive High/Low, 24HP engine (D-1100-A), Serial # 10691. Guy wants $5,000.00 but is willing to "talk". Looks like this thing was garaged, in very good condition ..... not pristine, but very nice. No puddles under it anywhere or leaks that I could see. No dents, tires are good, no rot, rims are solid with no rust. Fired right up, sounded good, PTO runs, FEL lifts and lowers. Basically it looks good, seems to run fine, nothing that raises any red flags.

Good price, bad price, good machine, bad machine .... comments?

Thanks a bunch,
Mike

/ Kubota L225 comments wanted
Anyone?

Mike

/ Kubota L225 comments wanted #3  
According to Kubota's website, the 2WD would be an L225F, introduced in 1974 (don't know how long they made them). A thousand hours would sure be low time on that machine. Now I don't really know anything about used tractor prices, and I'd sure rather have 4WD with a FEL, but I'd think he probably won't have any problem getting $5k for it. For a purely personal opinion (maybe that should be "guess" instead), I'd say good tractor, fair price.

/ Kubota L225 comments wanted #4  
My neighbor bought an L225 last summer. He paid 5000 for his. He got a new 72 inch finish mower, a junkie box blade and a junkie rear blade with it. He is really happy with his L225. He said he would buy it again.

I think he got pretty good deal. It seems fair.

dwight

/ Kubota L225 comments wanted
This is a tough one. The place now says they will pay the sales tax on it as well. The wife says go for it. My driveway is begging for some attention along with some other landscaping projects. Just not sure if it's heavy enough or strong to handle my driveway. Though I know it would easily handle pulling a box scraper on the higher center and sides, that's pretty soft stuff. But when you get past that it's pretty hard. Guess I could scrape down to where it gets hard, then bring in gravel and smooth it out.

Then there's the matter of lift capacity for the FEL, which I have no idea on.

Man, this is a tough one, thanks for the input.

Mike

/ Kubota L225 comments wanted #6  
Mike, box blades come with scarifiers, or ripper teeth, that you can fasten up out of the way, or you can lower them so they dig in. So you can handle the hard ground on that driveway just fine with that tractor and a 4' or 5' box blade (I'd go with the 5' myself).