3320 - FEL & mower selection

/ 3320 - FEL & mower selection #1  

poltroon

I have a quote in my hand for a JD 3320 and I think this may be our machine. The dealer has spec'ed a 300x loader and a LX5 rotary mower. The implements were not discussed other than that I needed a FEL and a rough cut mower. It seems to me that I should purchase the more capable 300cx and LX6. In for a penny, in for a pound, after all.

What is the difference between the 300x and the 300cx - I hear y'all rave about the 300cx but I'm not sure why other than that it has more capacity. And is there any reason why the LX5 would be more appropriate other than cost - I understood the 3320 to have ample power for a 6' mower.

I have 21 acres, mostly flat with a couple of terrace levels, with some in orchard, but mostly will be used for maintaining a horse operation - mowing pastures, moving manure, moving hay, discing an arena, perhaps some post hole digging and other construction type projects.

Thank you all - I've learned tons browsing here.

/ 3320 - FEL & mower selection #2  
I just purchased that same set-up, in fact it was just delivered today. I went with the LX-5 at dealer reccomendation and because I have a fair number of hills to rough cut and felt the LX6 might get me into trouble. I also have been seeing the raves on the CX loader and I have an X- which will be more then enough for the type of FEL work I have to do- however, if the price difference was small and the dealer had one, I might have gone for the CX. I'll be curious to see what folks say about the LX5 vs LX6- maybe I should trade up before it's too late.

/ 3320 - FEL & mower selection #3  
I just recently bought a 3320 w/300cx and a LX5 cutter. I was looking at the MX5 and the dealer recommended that the LX5 would be a better bet since I also have a few hills to move around and over. If your land is level, get the LX6. My experience with the LX5 is that it is a perfect match for the tractor and I'm thrilled with the job it does. I opted for the 300CX because of the capabilities.

Bob

/ 3320 - FEL & mower selection #4  
While I can't speak for the mower (my MX5 hasn't come home yet /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) when it comes to the loader you'll never regret going with the biggest offered vs. possible regret getting a smaller model. The potential for "projects" after the sale is limitless and it would be beneficial to have the most capacity "just in case". Just my opinion /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 3320 - FEL & mower selection #5  
OK, I'll recommend the bigger FEL and the smaller cutter.

The tractor can use the full capacity of the FEL.

You'll wish you had a few more HP if you try to cut some thick grown up weeds/brush/grass. The LX5 is a good little cutter. If you have to cut much of that 21 acres, depending on the time you have, I would really recommend the 3720 with the 6' cutter. I know its more money but so is your time.

If your whole place is manicured and cut frequently, the 3320 LX6 combo will work. There are 2 trains of thought for cutter width. 1) Get one that is the same width as the tractor so if the tractor fits, so will the cutter. (better for tight spots) 2) Get the biggest cutter your HP will handle and cut the most grass in the least time. (Better for wide open)

Kyle

/ 3320 - FEL & mower selection
At the moment the grass is thick and tall, but I'm under the delusion /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif that if I had a nice tractor, that started when I turned the key and everything, that we'll be able to mow it regularly. I also plan to have animals on it, so I hope that the majority of the mowing will be easier.

Only about 10 acres will need mowing.

/ 3320 - FEL & mower selection #7  
I mow 10 of my 12 acres. Just set the cruise at 3.5-4.0mph and mow, baby mow! Takes me about 7 hours total and I do it over 2 days.

Bob