Need advice for a new Tractor:)

/ Need advice for a new Tractor:) #1  

kcook

Platinum Member
Tractor
Cub Lawn Tractor
We have bought 3 acres of land that I need to start working on for a future home (moving small tree's keep it cut and some landscaping) I also have 2 acres that I live on now that need to be cut and maintaned. I also have landscaping to do on the two acres. I have 1200' of driveway to take care of and move snow on this winter. I would like so advice on a tractor size and maker. I would like to stay with JD, Kubota, Kioti and NH as I have dealers in the area for service after the sale.

I would also like you opinion on attachments. Mid mount mower for sure, loader for sure and a blade? Snow blower? Box blade? And I do have a budget, 16k or so. I would rather pay a little more for the right machine.

Thanks

KC

/ Need advice for a new Tractor:) #2  
Just about any of the brands you list will do your projects. You do not mention your location in MI. If you are in Southeast MI., then a blade will do the job. I have a<font color="orange"> Kubota</font> B2910 that has a FEL 6'6" blade. Here is a link to some pictures. Click Here
If the amount of time required to get lawn cut is a consideration. Then you may want to look at the <font color="orange"> Kubota</font> B2630 or B3030. Both will fit your needs.
Just reread your post. $16K will take both of these tractors out of the running. With attachments you list. Price will run about $2100.

/ Need advice for a new Tractor:) #3  
That's a bit of a tough budget to get too much machine. I have a deere 2210 with a 210 loader 84" rear mower and a 6 foot blade. Had I made a cash deal on the package I could have bought it for around $18,500 canadian, but a mid mount will run you a lot more dough. How big are your trees? that can make a diff on the size of tractor, also your clarance requirements and what you are going to put for weight in your bucket.

/ Need advice for a new Tractor:)
I live in South Center MI just south of Jackson MI. 2 acres are have lots of woods the other 3+ are open field at this point.

KC

/ Need advice for a new Tractor:) #5  
You should be able to purchase a decent used tractor with those attachments as long as you don't mind doing some shopping and tire-kicking.

/ Need advice for a new Tractor:) #6  
I purchased a Kioti LK 3054 with fel, box blade, rotory mower, post hole auger, and tiller for 15 K. That is all the tractor you will ever need.

/ Need advice for a new Tractor:) #7  
I agree with rfawkes ,
Take a hard look at Kioti . They make an excellent tractor and I have found their prices to be more reasonable than Kubota ,in my area . Don't get me wrong , Kubota makes a fine tractor and has many more tractor designs than Kioti does ,at this time .They just seem to cost a lot more in my area . This could be the fault of the local kubota dealer who has the whole area locked up and has a take it or leave it attitude . Another brand that seems to be getting a lot of good attention is a Mahindra . This brand , I know very little about ,but I am willing to bet some of the Mahindra boys on this web site can fill you in on the pros and cons . Do your homework , shop hard and find a dealer your are happy with and you won't be sorry .
Allen

/ Need advice for a new Tractor:) #8  
<font color="green"> We have bought 3 acres of land . . . I also have 2 acres that I live on now that need to be cut and maintaned . . . Mid mount mower for sure, loader for sure and a blade? Snow blower? Box blade? And I do have a budget, 16k or so.
</font>

I would suggest that a SUB-CUT might be a good way to go. They are the smallest of the compact tractors, but should be plenty big enough for that size property and will also fit into your budget.

You have a 1200' long driveway, to me that screams for a front mount snow blower IF YOU ARE IN A SNOW BELT AREA, but those are expensive, could easily run $3500. A typical rear mount blower will run $1500 to $2000 depending on brand. All of the brands of Sub-CUTS have front mount blower options.

In the Sub-CUT class of tractors you can choose from the following (in alphabetical order, based on the dealers you list in your area)
- Deere 2210
- Kubota BX series tractors
- NH TZ series tractors
Any of the above will deal with up to 5 acres, but are better suited to either 2 or 3. I presume you are ultimately going to sell the 2 acre propery you have now . . . and be left with just 3 total in the future. That presumption my not be accurate, but if it is, that is why I suggest a SUB-CUT.

If you want to scale up to a small frame CUT, then you have some more options:

- KIOTI: The CK20 is a nice unit in a small package, it has lots of features and a great front end loader and plenty of capacity, the MMM is reported to be marginal, but last I read it is being redesigned.
- NEW HOLLAND: You probably won't find a New Holland small frame CUT that will fit your budget if you add on the implements, I think they are the nicest small frames on the market now, and pack up to 26hp into a tractor that is the same size as the CK20. But like I said, the price is not going to fit you.
- KUBOTA: A Kubota B7510 is a great small frame tractor for mowing, light weight so it doesn't impact the yard much, but still very capable. Depending on the dealer, reports place it at up to $800 less expensive than the Kioti CK20 (but the CK20 has some capacity advantages if that becomes an overriding issue). The Kubota B7610 is the next step up in size over the B7510, reports put that at slighly more ($200 to $500) than the CK20, but the B7610 has greater HP at the engine and PTO to power larger implements if you think that is where your needs lie.
JOHN DEERE: JD has several models including the 4110 and 4115, typically priced higher than the corresponding Kubotas, usually in-line with or slightly lower than the corresponding New Hollands.

Bear in mind pricing is VERY REGIONAL.

If you are basically going to work for a year or two on the 3 acres and then move there, a SUB-CUT is still my first choice for a long term tractor. Bear in mind you can easily go up to a Small Frame CUT, but my neighbor has 2.5 acres and maintains it with a $1500 Sears Craftsman lawn tractor and occasionally (about once evey other year) will rent a piece of equipment. From the economical standpoint, he is saving a heck of a lot more money than I am with my machines. I recommend the SUB-CUT largely because of LONG TERM use. On a small property it will not be too big to fit under the ornamental trees your wife plants, it will turn tighter than any small frame CUT and make your mowing tasks go faster (realize that a Sub-CUT and a small frame CUT both use about the same size mower decks). A Sub-CUT won't tear up the lawn. Most sub-CUTs have as much or MORE horse power than the lower powered small frame CUTs so they are more capable with snow blowers! Now the sub-CUTs will be slower/less able with a box blade than a CUT, but I doubt you will end up box blading every week. Most people box blade their driveway about 2 or 3 times a year, but they mow their lawn about 35 times a year and blow their snow 12 to 36 times a season (and if you are in a snowbelt, then a front mounted blower is the way to go and the sub-CUTS have excellent front blowers and plenty of power too).

JMHO. I tend to get heat from people, but I think many buy tractors that are larger than they need, and then end up buying a lawn tractor too.

/ Need advice for a new Tractor:) #9  
I would suggest a small frame CUT. It may fit into your budget.

I would take a look at the CK20. It has many more features then it's counter parts and much heaver for loader work. Also Kioti is putting out a new MMM this year. That shouldn't be an issue anylonger. It's down fall would be the weight on your lawn.

If you want a light weight small frame cut. I would recommend a B7510. It's a bit more then the CK20. B7510 is more of a light weight tactor for mowing and lighter work. CK20 is more heavy duty and much better for loader, box blading etc..

Regards;
Glen

/ Need advice for a new Tractor:)
Thank you so far, im looking at Kiot next (later on today) I have looked at the Sub compacts and im concerned that they may not be able to handle some of the rear attachments that I might rent or buy. Tiller, Brush Hog, post hole digger, and seeder.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

KC