Offsetting a mower

/ Offsetting a mower #1  

Mosey

Veteran Member
Tractor
2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.
There have been discussions in the past about making an offset mower from a finish mower or brush hog mower. I seem to remember someone mentioning using a 90 degree 1:1 ratio gearbox to transfer the PTO power from the back of the tractor to the side. I've looked at TSC and a few other places and can't find any such gearbox. It would need to handle 40 PTO HP. Anybody have any idea where to get such a thing? Also, where can I get a 6' or maybe even a 7' PTO shaft? Thanks.

/ Offsetting a mower
milkman, thanks for the link. That's what I'm looking for. It doesn't have the splined shafts I need for my PTO, so I'll need to find an adapter. Maybe that same place has that too, so I'll look. Thanks again!

/ Offsetting a mower
Does anyone know much about the "Input shaft w/keyway" type shafts on the gearbox that milkman's link shows? I can see that the keyway would keep the driveshaft yoke from spinning on the gearbox shaft, but what keeps the driveshaft yoke from coming off the gearbox shaft?

/ Offsetting a mower #5  
On that straight shaft type application, a keyed pully, chain sprocket or "U" joint yoke would most likley be held in place with 1 or 2 setscrews

/ Offsetting a mower #6  
a good cheap obtion may be an old 90 degree geabox off a pull type combine. The ones on the old JD 7721 or 6601 could easly take 150 hp and that would be overkill for what you need but you would never have to worry about busting it.

/ Offsetting a mower
kuby, thanks, I'll look into that.