Cummings Engine Problem

/ Cummings Engine Problem #1  

meledward23

Gold Member
Tractor
1025R
I have a 96 Dodge One Ton with a 5.9 Turboe Diesel. It has been stalling out in idle for a while and now only starts at random times. The fuel pump and fuel filter have both been replaced.

Any ideas on what might be the problem? Once the truck has the fuel pedal depressed it runs fine. Stop at a traffic light and it may or may not stall. The worst instance is when you put it in reverse. Stalls out 50% of the time.

/ Cummings Engine Problem #2  
It could possibly be dirty fuel injectors. Mine (also a '96) acted something like that before I put in larger injectors. When I pulled out the original injectors, they were pretty dirty. Now, you can't turn the key to start without it immediately starting. All it takes is the slightest bump on the starter and it starts and runs fine.

/ Cummings Engine Problem #4  
Might be the fuel return or supply line. They can become brittle and leak, allowing the fuel system to loose prime.

Dave

/ Cummings Engine Problem #5  
It's those darn Cummings engines, a Cummins runs much better. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Seriously, go Here for some good info.

/ Cummings Engine Problem
Forget it. Off to the Evil dealer with this truck again. Of course this is the first time it is for an engine problem and considering the way my wife takes care of her truck it is probably maintenance related.

AND I am ignoring the comment about my spelling. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Cummings Engine Problem #8  
my Dad use to have a 97' that did the same thing,and somebody told him that they had a problem with the throttle cable stretching in turn not holding it where it should and idling to low,I thought he said something about a recall on it but I'm not sure,you might want to have it checked just in case,could be a cheap fix for your problem.

/ Cummings Engine Problem #10  
There was a recall on the throttle linkage.