Ballast Wheel weights for tractor

/ Wheel weights for tractor #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
Fellow Posters:

I am interested in adding some wheel weights to the rear wheels on my tractor (mid frame JD). I noticed on the JD website that the weights are only 55 pounds? This does not seem like it would be worth doing, unless they are plates that can be stacked. I also wondered if the steel weights would increase the likelihood of wheel rust. I wash my tractor often and always make a point of drying it well. The weights may block me from getting to the rim surfaces and I am slightly concerned moisture my "pool" back behind the weights. I already have the tires loaded, but with the slopes I work on, I would like to add a bit more wheel attached ballast. I am not (that) vain, but I would like for things to look good, so I would like to stick with JD weights. Any specific part numbers I need to look for? If I decide to do it, I want to make sure I order enough of the right thing. Thanks.

John M

/ Wheel weights for tractor #2  
John,
If you have the standard R-4 tire, you are right.. not many choices. Just the 50#, and they say max 2 per wheel. Expensive for 200# of weight compared to having the tires loaded, eh?

Maybe somebody else knows of another way to get more weight. With the R-1, there is the option for heavier weights.

If you have the larger R-4, you may be able to stack 3 weights per wheel. I think the differences are in the
hole patterns for the weights to mount to. (some wheels have 3 holes and some have 4 for weights)

anybody else have any ideas??
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Wheel weights for tractor #3  
Sad loss, but EZ Weights is gone. They made brackets that let you use free weights. Painted yellow, they looked pretty nice.

John, do you have your wheels set out as wide as they can go?

You could try a heavier tire ballast. I think I can track down some uranium nitrate...

/ Wheel weights for tractor #4  
Do you always cut in the same direction on the hill? I do so I put two weights on the uphill side and none on the other. I still get uneasy but no wheel slippage on the slope.

/ Wheel weights for tractor
I appreciate the help of all so far. My main issue is not side to side instability. I will not get on a hill that is treacherous side to side. My main problem is when I am working up and down a slope. For example, my drive is pretty long 400+ feet I estimate and is gravel. There are slopes of 20+ percent on it. If I use my box blade, the tractor will pull it both up and down the grade, even smoothing and digging pretty well into the gravel, but I will get slippage, usually from the rear tires. Of course with the box blade, one can manipulate the blade to keep going, but it leaves a "rippled" effect. Going down the hill is OK, but not as fast. The second instance is when I am going on my property down hill with a loaded bucket. Even using the box blade as ballast, with loaded tires the machine will occasionally get tippy. Finally, thinking of winter, I am very excited to use the front mounted blade. When I scrape there are several tight spots on the drive, road, and neighbors' drives I do that forces me to use as much ballast as possible on the machine, rather than jutting out the back. These are the reasons I would like to bump the weight up on the rear wheels. I have the standard R4's with six plys. They are loaded, initially I thought with RimGuard, but later I learned with antifreeze (dealer loaded). Each tire I believe holds 30 gallons or so, which I estimate gives me about 450 pounds of rear ballast. Changing to rimguard would give me 600 pounds or so. If I went with the larger R4 tires I would lose two plys, but could load with 40 gallons of antifreeze or Rimguard, which would give me approximately 650 pounds or 800-820 pounds respectively, but that also seems expensive as I am sure the wheels/tires would be pricey. I also may buy some chains for the winter, and I will need some rear wheel clearance. I would like to stick with the r4 tires, but I am not married to the idea. I am curious as to whether that would be a straight bolt up, or the the tracking would be affected. The wheel weights are still a consideration but I feel not worth the money for so little weight. Thoughts? Thanks again.

John M

/ Wheel weights for tractor #6  
I'm wishing also that there was an inexpensive way to add weight to my 2210. I'd love nothing better than fluid in the rear doughnuts but it would mean sacrificing the excellent ride I'm getting. weights are ridiculously priced .

/ Wheel weights for tractor #7  
Did you come up with any ideas for weight for a 2210 without filling the tires? I am trying to decide on how to tackle that right now.
Thanks

/ Wheel weights for tractor
BKennedy,

As is my style I have no idea how to answer my own questions but am full of suggestions for others (most of them probably bad). I have not owned a 2210, but did have a 595 with the same 26-12-12 wheels. I did the following: with my front loader, there was a ballast kit one could get. If one went with the kit, the weights and ballast box were less expensive. I do not know if your dealer could help with this, but I was able to get a weight box to mount to the three point and some steel weights 72 pound starters and 50 pound add on weights (or about 30kg and 24ish kg, since you are from Canada). This added quite a bit of weight to this sized machine. I liked the fact I could ditch the ballast box when not in use and I also would take off the extra steel weights when I did not need them, but fully loaded, including Rim Guard in the rear tires I was carrying about 450 pounds of wheel mounted ballast on my 595. The extra plates look funny sticking out, but one would not have to do all of them, just add and remove as needed. They were not cheap, but also were not overpriced, given the positive effect on performance. JD also makes a plastic 50 pound weight that will not scratch the rim if taken on and off repeatedly, but it does not add much weight, and is subject to cracking with temp changes and impact. Interesting to me that one can add this much weight to the wheels of these small machines, but the weights are LESS for the bigger tractors. Hope this is a bit helpful.

John M