Diesel v. gasoline Gator

/ Diesel v. gasoline Gator #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
Fellow Posters,

Is there any major performance difference between the diesel and gasoline HPX gator? I know the diesel will last longer and would get better fuel economy given the same use, but will the diesel offer any other benefit to a homeowner who might use one 2-3 hours per week?

John M

/ Diesel v. gasoline Gator #2  
Mine is a diesel probably use it 1 hour week. Unless brothers kids stop in. Contrasting gas & diesel is easy: diesel no bad gas, fouled plugs, messing with choke lever, fooling with carbs.

The diesel config carries more and tows more and has a 40 amp alternator for extras /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Gas top end speed may be a little higher & of course cost less. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Diesel v. gasoline Gator #3  
i have a gas model. it has plenty of power and i have no complaints other then i wish i could speed it up a bit. i am disabled and i mainly use it for pleasure rideing (me and the wife and kids ) we go ride in the woods and swamp.i have had to use my winch twice but it was a deep hole that i slid into(3ft) and nuthin but that old clay mudd but other than that she gets me every where we need to go and then some. as long as the tires have a good grip she will climb a hill . i plan on putting on some 26 inch gators and a clutch inclosure after that i don't think that she will beable to be stopped (other than some really high water.remember i live in south louisiana we got some mudd and she is doin fine without all them goodies so i can just think about what she gonna go through with some 26'' gator's and a clutch houseing and maybe a snorkle kit. does anyone know of a lift kit you can put on these things besides the tires????

/ Diesel v. gasoline Gator #4  
Get the diesel!!

The gas engine has starting and carb issues. I had one that was not dependable at all and left me stranded several times.

JD took it back and I bought the diesel. At 215 hours now and zero problems!

The little Yanmar is a great engine and I work it hard too!!

/ Diesel v. gasoline Gator
Thanks. I am a probably about three/four months away from getting one, but I am now leaning more toward the diesel.

John M

/ Diesel v. gasoline Gator #6  
I got the diesel HPX about 5 months ago. Debated it and decided to go diesel. No regrets. I have 2 tractors that are diesel so it helps on types of fuel to store. I read about the gas models being a bit cold blooded. Wonder if the gas is quieter then the diesel. I would guess so. Diesel is very good on fuel consumption. I have noticed with the JD windshield that I pull fumes along. In summer I crack front window. Plan to cut and fit a plastic rear window.

Craig

/ Diesel v. gasoline Gator #7  
I debated the gas vs diesel and wasn't that concerned with whatever edge the diesel gave. I have been happy with the Kawasaki power in my HPX. If I was going to use mine more I would have went diesel but we use it more for vacation property transportation and it has worked out great. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Diesel v. gasoline Gator #8  
I had the same debate and I ended up with a gas HPX. I got a demo model (no hours, just a display model). You do have to choke the gas model and it has to warm up some but oh well. The diesel was $2K more which I thought was too high. I ended up getting mine fro $7900 which I thought was a really fair deal. If the price was closer, I would have gotten the diesel for sure.

D.

/ Diesel v. gasoline Gator #9  
I recently bought a 6x4 JD diesel for around the farm, had only 19 hours. My problem is the engine keeps surging, it is especially annoying at low speeds but surges through the entire rpm range from idling at a standstill to maximum rpm. My diesel mechanic has had it for two weeks and can't figure out the problem. JD is supposed to have a bulletin out on the problem but my JD dealer can't find the bulletin. Has anybody else encountered the problem and how did you fix it? I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has a solution. Thanks, ndblackhawk, e-mail spirit@spiritmeats.com