Leaky Power Steering Reservoir

/ Leaky Power Steering Reservoir #1  

jrinck

I was just doing some random poking around on my TC29DA (55 hrs), and I noticed that it looked like the power steering reservoir was leaking from underneath. There are two hoses connected to it plus the drain plug. I didn't know which one was the culprit, so I tightened the plug and the two hose clamps, and this seems to have done the trick, although I continue to be vigilant.

If it starts to leak again, I'll call the dealership as it's still under warranty. But since I'm not going to take the tractor in myself, I need to pay for their time to come out. Might just make more sense to replace the filter/reservoir unit myself.

/ Leaky Power Steering Reservoir #2  
I experienced the same thing on my TN75. I found a loose drain plug and tightened it. Seems to have done the trick. Amazing how may loose things come on a new tractor.

/ Leaky Power Steering Reservoir #3  
My reservoir also seeps slightly. The tractor collects dust in that area and I rinse it off occasionally. Did you know that the power steering reservoir is actually just a power steering filter with a screw-on lid? When you change the "filter" you actually remove, replace, and refill the reservoir. You are supposed to do that every 600 hours. Hold your breath when you go to buy that filter. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Leaky Power Steering Reservoir
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My reservoir also seeps slightly. The tractor collects dust in that area and I rinse it off occasionally. Did you know that the power steering reservoir is actually just a power steering filter with a screw-on lid? When you change the "filter" you actually remove, replace, and refill the reservoir. You are supposed to do that every 600 hours. Hold your breath when you go to buy that filter. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif )</font>

I'm around 550 hours away, but am already nervous. How much?

/ Leaky Power Steering Reservoir #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm around 550 hours away, but am already nervous. How much? )</font>

Don't know, I'm 400 hours over and have never changed mine. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

If the fluid looks good, I'll leave it. If it looks dirty, I'll drain/change it. If the power steering shows problems, I'll replace the filter-reservoir. Until I have to, I'm gonna let my $$$ stay in the bank on that little item. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Leaky Power Steering Reservoir #6  
The reality is very few of these filter/reservoirs ever get changed. We do drain and fill them as part of a "full" service.

/ Leaky Power Steering Reservoir #7  
I just discovered the same problem on my TC29D (with about 40hrs on it). It looks like it is leaking in a couple of places - including between the pump housing and the gold colored round piece that the drain screws into. I'm having the dealer look at it this week.

/ Leaky Power Steering Reservoir #8  
where exactly is this reservoir/filter on a tn75??? Thanks

/ Leaky Power Steering Reservoir #9  
have you checked the CNH parts website? you can print off exploded diagrams from there, plus parts listings.

soundguy