Cold weather starting

/ Cold weather starting #1  

catvet

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L-39
Okay so I'm jumping the gun a bit but I was thinking about starting the tractor when it's 30 below. Would it be advantgous to keep say a gallon of fuel in the heated garage and add that to the fuel tank to warm up the diesel which is already in the tank. And to answer your question before it's asked, no the tractor is not going to get to live in the garage for the winter. It does have a block heater which I would also use.

/ Cold weather starting #2  
Make sure you use the recommended amount of Heavy-Duty Diesel Fuel Additive to prevent gelling.
I use Power Service. Which can be purchased at Wally World.
What are you going to wear for protection in temperatures that low? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Cold weather starting #3  
I think there are additives already in the winter diesel that will work for you in the cold weather, as far as fuel goes. Just run it low this fall and fill it with the winter fuel, if you can find out when it is available. There may be some additional tricks with a small amount of gas added, but I would not recommend them for someone else to try. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've not had trouble starting in -20° with the fuel I buy at the local station. Before this winter, I will check for water in the system, and will add winter diesel when the cold weather comes. I don't have a heater, but at -30°, it would be a good idea.

One thing I added two years ago for 'winter' tractor work, was a snowmobile helmet with dual visor. Really takes the force and bite of that 20 mph, -20° F wind down a notch or two. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Don't know why it took me so many years to figure that one out. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Cold weather starting #4  
Any fuel that you buy in the Northeast is treated unless it is the off-road red stuff, then you have to treat it yourself. All you need to do is plug it in an hour or so before you want to use it and it should start right up. Pre warming the fuel will do no good.

/ Cold weather starting
Thanks for the feedback. This is my first winter with a Diesel vehicle and you hear stories about how hard they are to start. I expect there will be times when it isn't run for a couple of weeks when it's cold out. Depends how much snow we get.

/ Cold weather starting #6  
My tratcror is in an unheated garage, i make sure i use fuel that is already treated for cold weather. do not have a block heater, just 10 or 15 sec. on the glow plugs and it fires right up. But i think you might be well advised to make sure u use the heater and mabey a litlle additive,. don't forget to keep yourself protected.

/ Cold weather starting #7  
For the most part the newer diesels that don't start is because of fuel. Make sure your fuel is treated and the block heater is a must at that temperature. Your diesel may start at that temperature but it will be very hard on it without the block heater. The block heater will warm everything up for you. You will have some hydraulic fluid concerns and may have to warm up the tractor an extra long time. Adding the warm fuel won't help you a bit and will be a waste of your time. Oh yes, make sure you really have some warm clothes at that temp.

murph

/ Cold weather starting #8  
catvet,

Lots of good advice in the responses.

Last year was my 1st with the J.D.. I did add a little additive to each 5 gallons of diesel during the really cold weather. Not sure if it needed it but, "Twin City Equip." recommended it, saying this is what all our customers use. I've still got the quart bottle. It's probably still 3/4 full.

A few suggestions:

Use of the block heater is a definite a must. I let it heat for at least 1/2 hour (an hour if I can....but then I'd have to get up at 4:30 instead of 5:00 a.m. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ).

Get a good heavy cold weather extension cord, only as long as you need to get from power to the block heater. No matter how supple the cord, at -30 F it's going to get stiff (as we all do /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif).

The snowmobile helmet is a good idea, especially if you're using a blower. The only problem I have with wearing a helmet is when I'm backing up to use the rear blade...it restricts my peripheral vision.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue">What are you going to wear for protection in temperatures that low? </font> )</font>

Get a good set of "Coveralls". I bought "Carhartt" Extreme (the Black 100% Cordura shell...) locally for $50 less than the best on-line price I could find. Agway was having a sale. You know those folks up on the mountains, making snow? That's what they wear all night at sub-zero temp.s /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. I don't use the hood when I'm clearing snow for the same peripheral vision issue but it's great to have. I'm not trying to promote a specific brand but, I was out at -25 F several times last year and my body never got the slightest chill. Driving the CUT, you don't work the way you would with a walk-behind blower or (dare I say it) shoveling /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Also, good warm boots, ofcourse.

The only thing I can't seem to keep warm is my hands. Still can't find a pair of gloves that will do it and everyone was out of the Mil style arctic mits. I need to start looking earlier this year.

Sorry for the longwinded reply but, I think you're getting an idea of how cold it can get up here and frostbite is not nice...been there, don't want to repeat it.

Now, if I just had a heated cab /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

Tom

/ Cold weather starting #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Use of the block heater is a definite a must. I let it heat for at least 1/2 hour (an hour if I can....but then I'd have to get up at 4:30 instead of 5:00 a.m. )</font>

Tom,

Put your heater on one of those 24 hour household timers. I set mine to come on in the AM as well as an hour before I would be plowing in the PM. It's off on the other hours.

Helmets are nice when blowing but otherwise I use a balaclava with a regular winter hat over that. If you ride other things that require a helmet, I'd recommend one that fits under the helmet. Most ATV/snowmobile places sell them.

Tom - check out gloves made by The North Face. I found they work very well.

Brian

/ Cold weather starting #10  
Brian,

I thought of the household timer (exterior grade...CUT sits under my deck). Problem is I'd used all mine for all the Christmas lights on the deck /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. Also, I don't need to run the tractor every day. So, I'd be wasting electricity and the bills are high enough already /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. I used to have a dedicated exterior outlet, for my van block heater, that I had switched (with a nice little indicator light). I'd start the coffee, let the dogs out in the run, switch on the outlet and by the time I was on my second cup, the van's block was nice and warm. Renovations eliminated my switch. Time to wire a new one, I guess.

Thanks for the tip on the Northface gloves. I'll check them out. I may still need mits as the frostbite I mentioned was my hands and they get cold real fast. Got the frostbite > 25 yr.s ago maintaining a skating rink with a firehose at sub-zero temps and insufficient clothing....my young and stupid days /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Tom