Cleaning exhaust build up on FEL arms??

/ Cleaning exhaust build up on FEL arms?? #1  

BandDcabinet

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, B3030, B7100
I've noticed a build up of black residue on the FEL arms. The exhaust discharge is aimed directly at the arms in the lowered position (B3030/LA403). I suppose this occurs primarily when the machine is left idling.... startup without adequate preheat?... In any case it is not easily removed.

Appreciate any suggestions on cleaning or preventing if that's possible.

Dand B

/ Cleaning exhaust build up on FEL arms?? #2  
maybe bug and tar remover /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Cleaning exhaust build up on FEL arms?? #3  
I have the same problem with my B3030 but I didn't bother with that so far. I wash the tractor from time to time but I've never washed the loader. I'll look at that as soon as I can to see if it is hard to remove.

/ Cleaning exhaust build up on FEL arms?? #4  
I've noticed it on my B7510 as well. Not much you can do to prevent it as its a byproduct of diesel exhaust. Gunk engine cleaner works pretty well though. I was never fond of the exhaust location.

/ Cleaning exhaust build up on FEL arms?? #5  
WD-40, automatic transmission fluid, and plain old diesel or kerosene will take it right off most of the time. wd-40 works great on light buildup, like i get on my jd 4115's loader between washing.

/ Cleaning exhaust build up on FEL arms??
Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking about trying kerosene. We used it in the past to clean machines in the shop.

Too bad the exhaust wasn't directed away from the loader. It seems like such an easy observation one has to wonder why something so apparent and fixable wasn't dealt with during the design process.

D

/ Cleaning exhaust build up on FEL arms?? #7  
You could use throttle body and injector cleaner.

/ Cleaning exhaust build up on FEL arms?? #8  
I've been using a high quality wax on the clean surface then I've had great results using a mild surface cleaner. I also use Honda Cleaner and Plexis which seem to work really well to shine up the tractor adn clean it up.

/ Cleaning exhaust build up on FEL arms?? #9  
I added a 1 1/4" copper, 45 deg. sweat street elbow. (pointed down)
Cut two slots 180 deg. apart, and the width of a hose clamp, in the end of the copper fitting that fits over the tractor exhaust. (slots let it compress a little when the hose clamp is tightened. It's a snug fit anyway)
I was going to weld a fitting on, but I wanted to try one anyone could do that doesn't weld.
It works great, all the exhaust goes to the ground now.

/ Cleaning exhaust build up on FEL arms?? #10  
Castrol Superclean. I love that stuff. Buy it by the gallon at Kmart and dump it in spray bottles. The purple cleaner melts it right off. You may need to rub a bit for thicker deposits..........chim