grass longer or shorter in the fall?

/ grass longer or shorter in the fall? #1  

Cliff_Johns

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4110
Should I cut my grass longer than usual or shorter than usual in the fall. I remember reading that the length should change, but I can't remember which way.

Cliff

/ grass longer or shorter in the fall? #2  
Shorter in the fall.

/ grass longer or shorter in the fall?
Thanks Dave, do you know the logic behind that? It would help me remember this answer next year.

Cliff

/ grass longer or shorter in the fall? #4  
Cliff, Its easier for the wind to blow the leaves into the neighbors yard /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ grass longer or shorter in the fall?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Cliff, Its easier for the wind to blow the leaves into the neighbors yard /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

Now that makes sense to me! I have a fence though, so I need to rake them up in the air on a windy day.

Cliff

(Actually, I just mow my leaves with the mulching mower. Works pretty good.)

/ grass longer or shorter in the fall? #6  
Not sure of the logic -- but if you are interested in overseeding, the seed has a better chance to find it's way to soil.

I cut mine shorter in the fall because it looks better, and it's now cool enough that it won't be burned from the heat..

/ grass longer or shorter in the fall? #7  
In my reference materials, they say to mow higher during the stress periods to help protect the crown of the grass against higher temperatures, keep the leaf area of the grass for more photosynthesis-which helps to promote a deeper root system for protection against dryer periods. Mowing it lower in the fall (at least here in the midwest) prohibits the grass from matting under the snow and creating environments for molds and fungi.

/ grass longer or shorter in the fall? #8  
<font color="blue"> Shorter in the fall. </font>

Gatorboy is correct. I've always been told to cut it as short as possible at the last cutting of the year because of snow mold.

I always just took everyone's word for it, but I just did a quick search, and found some information on snow mold...
Snow Mold

/ grass longer or shorter in the fall? #9  
Doesn't it keep the snow snakes out of your yard too? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif