1954 NAA - Again Pulley

/ 1954 NAA - Again Pulley #1  

Ortis

Bronze Member
The generator/water pump belt broke, so I got a new one. Problem: the belt fits the engine and water pump pulleys, but
the generator pulley is ~1/4" narrow. It worked for a while, but now that the belt is wearing in, there is too much friction and it is smoking the belt. Does anyone have any theories on how the wrong pulley got on there? A new pulley costs (choke) $45 from the New Holland dealer. Are there cheaper sources?

Thanks for the help on the wiring on the tractor - it's even simpler than I expected. First chance I get, I get the headlights working.

Best Regards

/ 1954 NAA - Again Pulley #2  
Never know what someone has done in the last 51 years.

It isn't, an adjustable pulley is it?.. you might be lucky.

I'd tote the genny down to a rebuild shop and see if you can get one.. I have seen them in the 25$ range.

Soundguy

/ 1954 NAA - Again Pulley #3  
getting the pulleys all the same width is the prefered method, but if you size the belt to your smallest pulley the belt will just ride deeper in the wider pulleys. With the small load on the tractor drive, it'll probably work ok.

/ 1954 NAA - Again Pulley #4  
getting the pulleys all the same width is the preferred method, but if you size the belt to your smallest pulley the belt will just ride deeper in the wider pulleys. With the small load on the tractor drive, it'll probably work ok.

/ 1954 NAA - Again Pulley #5  
Problem with that is.. the 5/8 pullies on the tractors may not like 1/2" belt.. due to the fact that The belt normally xfers power ont he belt sides.. if the 1/2" belt bottoms out inthe 5/8 pulley.. you get issues.. like slipping and pre-mature belt wear...

Soundguy

/ 1954 NAA - Again Pulley #6  
yeah, I know it's not politically correct, but there is not much load on that belt. I re-read Ortis's question. He didn't ask for alternatives to a new pulley.

/ 1954 NAA - Again Pulley #7  
I am working on a 2N right now with a Delco 10SI alternator and the typical 1/2" pulley on it. The 1/2" belt bottoms out in the crank and waterpump pulleys and simply will not drive the alternator. Tisco offers a wider pulley for the Delco, not sure if they have a pulley listing for the stock generator.

/ 1954 NAA - Again Pulley #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( yeah, I know it's not politically correct, but there is not much load on that belt )</font>

Obviously, there is enough load on the belt that it has slipped and worn and is now smoking.. to me.. that is a significant issue... and not so much about the lack of charge.. more about the lack of a fan and an overheating engine.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I re-read Ortis's question. He didn't ask for alternatives to a new pulley. )</font>

Better take another look then.. Here is a quote from ortis's message... He states a corret pulley from the dealer is price prohibitive, and asks for other sources... I told him to try a mom-n-pop genny shop.. might pick up a used on there for half the price... that would qualify as an alternative cheaper source, that he specifically asked for.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A new pulley costs (choke) $45 from the New Holland dealer. Are there cheaper sources?
)</font>

As for the 'how' his pulley got switched?? who knows... lots of things happen to 50+ year old tractors /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Soundguy