Rear Blade front weight, loader and rear blade

/ front weight, loader and rear blade #1  

glalonde

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD790
I have a JD790. Last winter when I was removing snow with the rear blade, sometimes the tractor would slide sideways (my road is not even on the left and right side at some places). Even though I have the loader on (which adds weights on the front tires), I would still need more weights on those tires to allow them to 'bite' the road better and pull the tractor straighter.

Can you use suitcase weights on the weight bracket (which is also needed for the loader), even though the loader is on ?
(I do not want to put weights inside the bucket because I'm also using it).

/ front weight, loader and rear blade #2  
My 790 does the same on occasion. The 790 is a fairly light tractor at 2150 lbs (plus loader). Assuming you set the blade at 30 degrees, it's going to push the tractor a bit sideways.

So, I think you may not have a problem. You may have to live with the limitations of a fine, but light weight, tractor.

/ front weight, loader and rear blade #3  
I used to have a wd45 that did the same thing when using a blade on snow. rear weights and loaded tires helped some, but a good set of double ring chains solved almost 99% of the problem.

Also, technique makes a difference, if you wait till morning and the snow has "set" it is a lot harder to put it where you want, I found a pass while it is still snowing 3-4" deep and then a second one in when it was done snowing worked a lot better than trying to move it all at once.

/ front weight, loader and rear blade #4  
re-read your post, My New Holland tc40da can use suitcase front weights with the loader. Your owners manual should tell you how many you can use with the loader.

/ front weight, loader and rear blade
The loader manual does not mention if you can add weights to the front weight bracket. The loader does use the front weight bracket to anchor itself to the front of the tractor, and I'm not sure if weights can go on after the loader is installed i.e. I think there's an 18" quick lock pin which goes across the weights, but the loader 'latch plate retainer' might be in the way.
Does anyone know if this quick lock pin is really needed ?