Buying Advice YM186 runs great, then dies. I need some advice.

/ YM186 runs great, then dies. I need some advice. #1  

MaterDei

Tractor
Yanmar 186
Greetings,

I have a YM186 (3 cylinder diesel 18HP) that runs great for about an hour and then very quickly the exhaust starts blowing white smoke and I loose power until the engine dies. Once cool I can start over again provided I shut down before the engine dies.

I've tried several things.

1. Running with the fuel cap loose to ensure it's venting.
2. Replaced the diesel in the tank
3. Replaced the fuel filter

Am I over heating maybe? How would I know for sure? I don't get any lights indicating a problem.

Thanks in advance.

/ YM186 runs great, then dies. I need some advice. #2  
Sure sounds like a fuel starvation problem...even intermitent, it could be debris in the tank, lines or at the injectors. Maybe someone else has a better suggestion.

Good luck,

Mark

/ YM186 runs great, then dies. I need some advice.
Thanks for the reply, Mark. I, too, thought that it was a fuel supply issue. That's why the steps I've taken so far are fuel related. You mentioned lines and injectors. I haven't addressed these potential issues. Is there an additive you can add to diesel, like with gas, that will help to clean the injectors and lines?

Does anybody think that overheating might be my problem? If so, what should I do to check? Would the oil in my engine be smoking if I were to open the fill cap when it starts to act up? Is there any other sign of overheating?

/ YM186 runs great, then dies. I need some advice. #4  
materdai,
do as Mark suggested, but go a little further & cleanout the tank then blow it out with an airhose, and blow all the fuel lines clean, put in a new filter & maybe replace the lines if they are old looking, add fuel & bleed it then see what happens.

/ YM186 runs great, then dies. I need some advice. #5  
White smoke from a hot engine often indicates coolant getting into the combustion chamber. Has your coolant level dropped? (White smoke from a cold diesel on start up is a sign of unburned fuel.) Possibilities, you may have a hairline crack in the head or block that expands as the engine heats up. I don't know the injector configuration on these engines but on some, it could be a bad seal or cup at the injector.

/ YM186 runs great, then dies. I need some advice. #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( thought that it was a fuel supply issue. That's why the steps I've taken so far are fuel related. You mentioned lines and injectors. I haven't addressed these potential issues. Is there an additive you can add to diesel, like with gas, that will help to clean the injectors and lines?

Does anybody think that overheating might be my problem? If so, what should I do to check? )</font>

Signs of overheating would include boiling out the coolant. If the coolant level is unchanged then there isn't enough heat to make it quit running.

I think everything points back to fuel not reaching the injector pump. I suggest when it quits, immediately open the air bleeder at the entry to the injector pump to see if fuel runs out.

/ YM186 runs great, then dies. I need some advice.
Thanks, California. I'll give your suggestion a shot. Is the bleeder at the injection pump the first bleeder? The fuel line running from the fuel filter to the engine connects on the engine and there is a bleeder there, is this the one I need to check? Sorry for the ignorant question.

/ YM186 runs great, then dies. I need some advice. #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The fuel line running from the fuel filter to the engine connects on the engine and there is a bleeder there, is this the one )</font>

That's the one.

/ YM186 runs great, then dies. I need some advice. #9  
Those little fuel bowls shrink overtime and u get a little leak. I got a new bowl from hoye and wa la fixed.. You have to rebleed everytime u open up the fuel system. Most of the time you do not have to open the lines but just use the bleeder screws.....

/ YM186 runs great, then dies. I need some advice. #10  
Do you store this tractor outside (or has it been stored outside in the past) and does it still have the OEM "gauge type" fuel cap? These have always been prone to leak and can easily let water into your fuel system. Once the water gets in, it is easy for algae to form in the tank. This stuff floats around and can block the tank's fuel outlet, starving the injection pump. I would recommend inspecting your fuel tank closely to see if this could be your problem.

Jeff