quick attach trimmer problems

/ quick attach trimmer problems #1  

OKnewguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Jinma 224
Well I have a problem, and thought I would pick the collective brain of TBN. My new (1 season old) troybilt trimmer stripped out the quick attach coupler while running a hedge trimmer. I guess the hedge trimmer is to heavy duty for some of these trimmers. The female square coupler just stripped out and is now round. I have been racking my brain and have not come up with a way to fix this (the replacement part is a whole assembly and is pretty expensive). AND THEN to top it off, I was using my ancient ryobi with the same hedge trimmer and I sheared the drive cable on this one. Any ideas would be a great help on how to remedy either one of these. I now have 2, 2 cycle engines if any one wants to wheel and deal? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Thanks, Dave

/ quick attach trimmer problems #2  
Dave, buy a good commerical grade unit & don't waste the money to repair these units.Not to cut your units, but they are throw away home owner grade light duty / use units.

/ quick attach trimmer problems #3  
Ironic that the "weed wheels" ad popped up right under your 'throw away home owner' comment. At times I think those wheels would be a good idea, but think they would be heavy to lug around and in the way most of the time. But don't really know that.
(Must be a new 'ad' gimmick that pops up).

/ quick attach trimmer problems #4  
I didn't see that . Is that one of those ads at the top of the page?

/ quick attach trimmer problems
I know I should get a good one, but my little ryobi 725 (?) has been running strong for 8 years now. I will end up getting a good one, but now I have these 2 motors that are just sitting there. It drives me crazy I can't think of a good way to get them going.
So the questions is: What should I spend, and what brands. Echo, stihl or simular? Are there any at the the big chains that are worth a flip?
Thanks, Dave

/ quick attach trimmer problems #6  
Try this site . You can always donate them to the good will. They have people there that repair things. they may have several already donated & they can make 1 good 1 out of several bad ones. Also a good tax deduction. Not many of those still left these days.

/ quick attach trimmer problems #7  
I'd think the Cultivator is a lot higher duty than a hedge trimmer. Never stripped it or broke the cable on either the Ryobi or the Cub Cadet drive.

Problem I had in going to a Stihl or anything else is all my Ryobi add-ons wouldn't work. So, I bought the Cub Cadet. In between, I bought a slightly cheaper TroyBilt (actually MTD now) on that refused to start after the first use. Took it back for a full refund at Lowes. It didn't have any adjustment to the choke: all automatic. The Cub Cadet (think it's also MTD) does have a manual choke. It starts instantly now with choke on, full throttle and a shot of starting fluid.

Saw a Shindawa drive at a local dealer that may be heavier duty and looks like it MIGHT take the Ryobi type add-ons. Was considering it until I discovered the Cub Cadet.

Ralph

I am in the same boat, I have tons of attachment. I was talking to my neighbor, and he had bought a troybilt also and returned it when the motor locked up after about 20min of use. I might check out the Cubs.
Thanks, DAve

/ quick attach trimmer problems #9  
I have an old Ryobi 720 model trimmer with quick attach. It was a great trimmer, lasted many years. I still have it and it runs, just very rough. I bought a Stihl FS 110R last summer with the 4-Mix engine. Fantastic trimmer, lots of torque. I also got the pole pruner (mini chainsaw) and 3 pointed star blade attachments for it. I am very happy with the Stihl. I also have a Stihl chainsaw.

Well thanks for the info on the stihl, I have not been able to find any of the higher end brands with the quick attach option. I will admit I have not looked extensively thou. I really need to get one with the q. a. because I have a large assortment of attachment also. In general I like the idea of mantaining fewer engines, but when your down, your down on all of them.
Thanks Guys, DAve