Sisal and Plastic twine prices on the increase

/ Sisal and Plastic twine prices on the increase #1  

HayDR

Veteran Member, Approved Advertiser
Tractor
JD 2040,2240, 2355, 2755, 4055
Yes last year sisal twine went up $10 a package. Usually twine will take big drop the year following a large increase, but that is not the case now. What has happened with sisal is there is increased demand for sisal rugs. The most expensive sisal fibers from African sisal were switched from AG twine to sisal rugs but the demand has exceeded the supply of the available African sisal. The European mills located in Portugal have moved their operations to Brazil because of the logistics of now having to use Brazilian sisal for the European markets. The sisal fibers used in baling twine take two years to grow so when demand increases it takes 2 years for the producers to catch up.

Any twine in stock now will be at a lower price than when the 2006 stock hits the market. Since we purchase thousands of bales of twine we purchase 6-9 months in advance. We have nothing to gain by selling a few bales of twine in stock now when we will receive $5 more for it in a few months.

Plastic twine is made from oil and oil prices have dramatically increased since last years twine raw materials were purchased. Depending on the plastic twine desired, it has gone up $3-5 a package for next years market.

This price increase will not affect the average small producer because they may use 5-10 bales of twine. What if you used 100 bales of twine? That would purchase $500 more of that cheap diesel fuel. Farmers need all the advantage they can get because they purchase retail and sell wholesale & work long hours in non-glamorous situations.

/ Sisal and Plastic twine prices on the increase #2  
My old Daddy always said farming was the only business where when you bought something you said "what will you take?" and when you sold something you said "what will you give?"

/ Sisal and Plastic twine prices on the increase #3  
Gotta get some Hemp twine in production! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Sisal and Plastic twine prices on the increase #4  
I quit using sisal a long time ago. I even tried the green treated stuff and the mice chewed it anyway.

I guess if twine gets too expensive, I'll get a wire tie bailer!!

/ Sisal and Plastic twine prices on the increase #5  
Steel prices keep going up also because of china so I don't think the wire is going to stay the same price either.

As for sisal, not much anyone can do about it so we just grin and bare it as usual. Then pass the price increase on to the customers who will then complain about the price as we are all getting rich. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Have fun

/ Sisal and Plastic twine prices on the increase #6  
They use to grow hemp here in Northern Indiana to supply the rope and canvas industry during the big wars. It was industrial hemp, not the kind for smoking. Hemp is a really valuable plant that makes fantastic fibers for all kinds of products. In the 40's, after Japan cut off the supply of rope from the Phillipines, the U.S. Government distributed hemp seed to U.S. farmers. The U.S. produced over 40,000 tons of fiber per year throughout the war.

Lots of bird seed has sterilized hemp seed in it so it won't sprout once the birds pass it out or some industrious genius starts a homegrow operation.

It still grows wild in most of the ditches along most of the county roads here. The authorities pretty much leave it go and concentrate on the cultivated plots.

Canada has hemp farms. Licensed by the government, I believe.

Anyhow, I'm off the hemp bandwagon now, dude. Peace. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Sisal and Plastic twine prices on the increase #7  
Hey Sweet,

Isn't it nice to make an informative post and not be accused of SPAMming!

I don't spend too much time "over there" 'cuz they just seem mean sometimes. Much nicer over here.

/ Sisal and Plastic twine prices on the increase #8  
Mr. Moss:

Getting slammed in South Bend?? Lately, every time I get close to the Hoosier, it snows. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Bet that Power Trac is getting a workout.

/ Sisal and Plastic twine prices on the increase #9  
Yes; there are a few licenced Hemp growers in Canada.

We used to buy Bindertwine, 6rolls in a paperbag, that was tied with a hemp rope. I still have several rolls of the Binder twine. For the younger folks binder twine was used in a reaper[binder] to bind the sheaves of grain.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Sisal and Plastic twine prices on the increase #10  
We had 7-9 inches a week ago and maybe an inch or two since. Two nights ago was rainy sleet. Below normal temps since November, but still seems mild to me. My hopes are to be ice fishing between Christmas and New Years. Haven't been able to do that for quite a while. I hope to take new snow plowing videos with a digital camera the next time we get a large snow.

Egon,
We use to make our own rope in Boy Scouts using binder twine. It was neat stuff. I had a piece of the homemade rope in my basement last year. Must have been 25-30 years old. Let's just say it didn't have much strength left in it... It was made with three strands of three strands and I was able to snap it with a quick jerk. I remember climbing trees with that rope when I was a kid! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif