Oil & Fuel Hydraulic fluid dumped in fuel tank of BX23

/ Hydraulic fluid dumped in fuel tank of BX23 #1  

Tractor_Jim_CT

Silver Member
Tractor
BX23
My wife accidentally took a container I had hydraulic fluid in from a recent servicing and poured it in the gas tank of my BX23.

I recently had major surgery and was not around to witness what happened, but put 2 and 2 together when the BX23 wouldn't start today.

I know this may be funny to some, but my wife feels badly and I need to know what I should do to fix this or is the tractor ruined.

Thanks in advance

/ Hydraulic fluid dumped in fuel tank of BX23 #2  
There was a thread recently about using a mix of hyd fluid and diesel. Seems like some were using 50/50 mix.
It should not hurt it. You could siphon out what you can and add diesel, then leave the key on for a couple minutes to circulate the fuel through the system.
I am sure someone here with mor knowlege will chime in.
Your tractor is definitley NOT ruined.
How long did you light the glow plugs? I am guessing it's pretty cold up there in CT. Might take longer than normal for them to get hot enough to light the engine off with a hyd fluid diesel mix.

/ Hydraulic fluid dumped in fuel tank of BX23 #3  
Depends.
How much was put in relative to what was already there?
Did it run for awhile with the fluid in there?

Possibly draining the tank, the filter changed, the pump cleaned, and the injectors cleaned might solve the problem.

Outside chance, that draining the tank and changing the filter, then putting new diesel in would pump through and get it to start, then run ok after a while.

I'd talk to the diesel mechanic at your dealer and get some opinions before doing much to try to start it. If it ran for awhile on the mixture, but ran rough, and now won't start, then I'd think something is plugged up. There will be someone along with better suggestions.
But it would be good to know how much was added and if it ran at all with the fluid mixture in there.

How could this fluid can be confused with a yellow diesel fuel container?

/ Hydraulic fluid dumped in fuel tank of BX23
i believe there was about 1/4 tank of clean diesel before adding whatever hydro fluid was left from the 50 hour servicing.

/ Hydraulic fluid dumped in fuel tank of BX23 #5  
But did it run with it in there?
And how much did you try to start it?
Also how dirty was it?
Did you catch it in a fairly clean pan? if you did
I don't think anything will be plugged up.
I think you just need reduce the hydraulic fluid deisel mixture
to get it to start.
If it was very dirty then the fuel filter might get plugged.
I don't think you would need to clean the pump and injectors as the fuel filter should catch any particles before they get to the pump.

/ Hydraulic fluid dumped in fuel tank of BX23
I drained the fluid in a new bucket when doing the 50 hour service. I didn't want the open bucket to spill so I poured it in one of my yellow diesel containers. Our town had advertised for waste collection and I let this thing sit for several months and did not get around to it. So mostly it's my fault for putting it in wrong container. I knew not to use the container. but my wife did not and I'm surprrised she found it. I wish she found the yellow empty one I put in the back of the pickup and asked her to fill a couple weeks ago. I had a kidney removed and I've not been allowed to drive or lift anything, so she was only trying to help.

She said it ran fine after adding the hydro. My only other worry is I'm thinking now is I may have added the dirty oil from the 50 hour oil change to the same yellow container.

/ Hydraulic fluid dumped in fuel tank of BX23 #7  
Since nobody has come out and said that you didn't damage your tractor,

YOU DID NOT DAMAGE YOUR TRACTOR.*

* your mileage may vary; not valid with any other offer; not legal in the state of California; not to be taken internally; do not look into laser with remaining eye.

There, get some sleep.

Now, all the following things are pretty easy to do, and if you changed your hydraulic oil then you should not have any trouble:

Whether it is running now or not I would:

1. Drain the fuel.
2. New fuel filter. (in the manual)
3. Fill tank with fresh fuel.
4. Bleed fuel system (it's in the manual.)
5. It will probably start after you bleed it (if not you may have to bleed clear up to the injectors)
6. Get some seat time and fuhgettaboutit.
7. Change your fuel filter after a tank or two.

Like my Grandma used to say, "If that is the worst thing that ever happens to your (insert name of object here) then it will be OK." /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ps.. some people cut their diesel with _gasoline_, so I cannot see how hydraulic oil could do any permanent damage.

/ Hydraulic fluid dumped in fuel tank of BX23 #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( YOU DID NOT DAMAGE YOUR TRACTOR. )</font>

I read that same thread last summer and tried adding 20% new leftover hydraulic fluid to the diesel to see how it would run.

That made warm weather starting a little slower, about 2 seconds cranking instead of firing on the first stroke. Once it fired it ran fine. Apparently hydraulic fluid lacks the volatility to ignite when cold.

In your case with a higher percentage of hydraulic, and cold weather, it probably won't ignite whatever you do.

I would drain the tank and filter bowl, and if there is a line from the filter to the injector pump then drain it too. Replace with fresh diesel. Bleed air according to the owner's manual.

Don't overheat the starter cranking the last of the hydraulic through the system, if it doesn't fire in a moment wait and let the starter cool before cranking again. Maybe replace the fuel filter after a few hours running.

Don't worry about it, you haven't caused any harm.

/ Hydraulic fluid dumped in fuel tank of BX23 #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I know this may be funny to some, but my wife feels badly and I need to know what I should do to fix this or is the tractor ruined.)</font>

I wouldn't worry about it - just drain most of the tank and re-fill it with fresh fuel. I wouldn't bother with changing filters or anything either - after all, diesels pretty much run on anything.

Tell your wife not to feel bad...just about an hour ago, MY wife wiped out the rear passenger door of her Tahoe LT by crashing into my Tundra LTD, wiping out the entire rear fender, right in our driveway. No really, I couldn't possibly make this up.

Jay

/ Hydraulic fluid dumped in fuel tank of BX23 #10  
Got to agree with most if less than 50% was added Iwould just drain it,then add a good dose of fuel conditioner to your fuel it's cold out.Every thing should be fine.Put some time on it to work the new fuel in.Tell your wife there running these thing's on old french fry oil I do not belive some old hydro oil will hurt anything.I've been large truck deisel mechanic for 30 years seen a lot worst. get better soon,Merry Christmas Red