Lazer on everything

/ Lazer on everything #1  

chucko

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx1800
I was looking at tools and god they even have a lazer pointer on a drill now so you can see where the hole will be drilled. I guess looking at the tip of the drill bit was too hard.
As I am ranting to the wife about this I say I should put one on my Bota so I can cut perfict rows in the garden. She say "what a great idea" as if the beans care if there is a small crook in a row

/ Lazer on everything #2  
Remember you always can get more in a crooked row. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I agree with the Laser's getting out of hand. I got a Craftsman saw with one and it helps me cut better but when my old man tries to use it, he is all over the place so he just turns it off and does it the old way and gets a much better cut.
The lasers do make for good movies when the guy is standing there and sees the little red dot on his chest! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Lazer on everything #3  
I am a HUGE fan of laser levels. Involved with many projects it has proven to be a MOST valuable tool for finding studs, going around corners, keeping things in line, and of course leveling!

Mine does EAT batteries, but man I love this tool.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Lazer on everything #4  
I agree. I like the lazer levels, but they seem to have gotten out of hand on other tools. I have a Makita drill with a nice little light on it that shines on the surface I'm drilling. It comes in handy in dim light situations. No lazer though. Another drill has a level in the handle to tell me when I'm drilling straight. I never look at it though; just wing it. It kind of reminds me of a watch these days, it's almost impossible to find one that just tells you what time it is. Too many gadgets and gizmos.

Tom

/ Lazer on everything #5  
I am a fan of the laser level as well, I had a 22' span that I had to get level and it came in very handy and it was quick doing it... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The other tools I have not used so I'm not sure if I would like them or not, But my thinking is they would be more of a distraction than a help ... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Lazer on everything #6  
A little bit of trivia for you fans of laser levels. They have created some problems and caused a few redefinitions.

Laser levels are neither completely level nor completely straight (if you carry it to the nth degree of accuracy).

The engineering definition of level involves relationship to the mass of the earth. A bubble or water level levels out with that relationship to show the true level at distant points. A laser level gets further out from true level as the distance from the laser emitter increases. For a standard home owner, this isn't an issue, but for large projects like shopping malls or tunnels and bridges, this can cause headaches. A typical 1/4 or 1/2 mile long shopping mall has to take into account the curvature of the earth as a design feature. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well your probably thinking that if they aren't level then they should at least represent a perfectly straight line. They don't do that either. Gravity distorts the laser and deflects the path a minute but also measurable amount.

So what is a laser level actually PERFECT for? Only to show the true path that light takes from a given light source. It is neither straight, nor level.

/ Lazer on everything #7  
<font color="blue"> So what is a laser level actually PERFECT for? Only to show the true path that light takes from a given light source. It is neither straight, nor level. </font>

You just burst my bubble. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Don

/ Lazer on everything #8  
a powerful enough laser and you won't need a bit or blade /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Ben

/ Lazer on everything
yea but those 18 volt batterys would not last too long

/ Lazer on everything #10  
OK Great!! getut just ruined it for everybody.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I bet your a lotta fun at the library /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif