Careful with augers!

/ Careful with augers! #1  

BAGTIC

Silver Member
I recently nearly had an accident while using my auger. The digging was tough because of rocks and small roots so I opened the throttle for more power and speed on the auger. Suddenly it jammed and the torque from the auger rolled the tractor FAR to the right. Both left wheels were at least 18-24 inches off the ground.

It was far enough and fast enough that I had to grab the ROP to keep from being thrown off the seat before I could shut off the auxilliary switch (It was easier to reach than the ignition). It was scary how fast it all happens. Apparently there is more than one kind of 'pucker' with the PT.

/ Careful with augers! #3  
Geez, Louise! That's really scary, and I'm glad that you had the presence of mind to hit the PTO before a rollover or worse happened. As you describe it, I can certainly see how that chain of events could play out.

Hmmm....wonder if a box of "Depends" should be in the garage of PT owners to be worn before attaching/using certain implements, or doing certain tasks. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Careful with augers! #4  
Glad you were not hurt!!! Sounds like you didn't have your seat belt on?? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif No damage to the PT??

/ Careful with augers! #5  
On the 1430 I have stalled the auger many times without moving or tipping the tractor. Did you possibly apply enough down pressure to make the front end lite? I could see where that might happen.

/ Careful with augers! #6  
What type of tractor and what size bit? I remember "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" with a hand-operated one.. we had 4 guys on it, and it spun it around like a pinwheel, when it hit thick gumbo clay. Funny in retrospect, but I'll pay attention to mine, re. your story.

/ Careful with augers! #7  
Has someone replaced the original shear bolts with a heavier grade 8 instead of a grade 2?
My augur has shear bolts and the PTO shaft has shear bolts. One of them should have sheared before the tractor started to roll. Maybe you should them with grade 2.

/ Careful with augers! #8  
Has someone replaced the original shear bolts with a heavier grade 8 instead of a grade 2?
My augur has shear bolts and the PTO shaft has shear bolts. One of them should have sheared before the tractor started to roll. Maybe you should them with grade 2.

This is a Power Trac. It is driven by a hydraulic motor and protected by a relief valve. There may be a sheer bolt, I am not sure.

/ Careful with augers! #9  

Apparently his auger has enough torque to twist the machine before the relief pressure is met and the supposedly shear bolt is not a shear bolt.

A grade 8 is not a shear bolt. That metal is stronger than almost anything on your machine.

Excerpts for shear bolts.

A shear bolt is designed to be the weakest part of the driven assembly. It is there to protect more expensive parts.

The pin itself may be a plain metal rod inserted through a hub and axle; the diameter of the rod is carefully chosen to allow the shearing action when the desired breakaway force or shock is reached. A cotter pin may also be used as a low-tech shear pin.

They are most commonly used in drive trains, such as a snow blower's auger or the propellers attached to marine engines.

/ Careful with augers! #10  
On my brother in law PHD, the bolt holding the auger on was stronger than the metal on the auger which was only about 1/8" thick and just ripped out the pipe on the auger when it hung up. I had to cut off some of the shaft and drill some new holes to repair it.

No way to twist a tractor like that regardless of the amount of torque on the PTO shaft.