Olive Farm in Provence France Photos

/ Olive Farm in Provence France Photos #1  

rox

Veteran Member
Just for fun, I thought I would post a couple pictures of the olive farm.

There is not much to do at the moment besides bottling the oil.

Mid February when the almond trees are in pink bud we have to spray to kill this one insect that attacks one (out of 2) varieties of our alond trees. Then the end of February my husband will rototill down the weeds.

In March and April I will finally get some outside work done, get to prune the olive trees, and man oh man what a job that is. We have probably another 2 years before we have our trees prunned back down to a reasonable size. You don't want the trees too tall because you can't get up that high to pick the olives. Also you don't want them too wide so that they grow into each other.

I have a real good prunning shears that runs off a big battery I carry in a belt off of my hips. It will cut through an olive or almond branch about 3 inches across.

So since I'm somewhat bored at the moment I thought I would take a few pics and throw them up. I so much enjoy this forum.

Attachments

• 818106-Farm010Compressed.jpg
    818106-Farm010Compressed.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 426
   / Olive Farm in Provence France Photos
Here is a pic of the view I have form my office. I have a patio door in my office and face this door when I am at my desk and on my laptop.

Sory for the bright light, it is the flash shining on the glass patio door.

Attachments

• 818108-Farm11Compressed.jpg
    818108-Farm11Compressed.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 391
   / Olive Farm in Provence France Photos #3  
Nice pix Rox, how did you end up with an olive farm in France?

/ Olive Farm in Provence France Photos #4  
Rox,

What? Only two pictures??? You know better than that! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Great looking olive grove. But you've certainly peeked our interest to see some more of your place. Thanks for posting.

Steve

/ Olive Farm in Provence France Photos
steve & redrocker,
okay okay I'll get some more.
Gotta work a little bit to get the photos down to 100k file size.
I jsut use Microsoft picture and fax viewer and use compress photo.

I'm working on designing a new label for the oil but when I need a break I'll post a few more. It's a beautiful day today.

/ Olive Farm in Provence France Photos #6  
Rox,
Nice looking place you have, I checked out your web site really pretty. I have fond memories of your part of the world when I passed through a couple of times about a 12 years ago.
Spent an interesting time in Greece back then, picking olives the old fashion way (beating them out). How do you harvest yours? I know the some in our olive local industry here have a tractor/bobcat type of contraption that grips the trunk and shakes them out.

/ Olive Farm in Provence France Photos #7  
Rox,

Thanks for posting the pictures!! But you really have to do better than that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Where's the tractor? The impliments? The barn? What's the house look like? Come on, some of us are really into tractors here on this site and would love to see some of your machinery!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eddie

PS, the olive trees and countryside are beautiful.

/ Olive Farm in Provence France Photos #8  
John is correct, a very interesting web site

http://www.masdesbories.com/

I found the fraud alert section and the awards section to be very interesting. Rox is not working just any ole olive farm.

Rox - love the shot in bib overalls. With your location it sorta looks like a twist on reverse Beverly Hillbillies or inverted Green Acres. You are very fortunate.

/ Olive Farm in Provence France Photos #9  
Rox - how does someone in the US find a truly good olive oil. I fear most of the product we see here may fall into the group of fraud products disclosed in the German testing. I suspect once a good product is used there is no going back. The SO uses a lot of olive oil for the health reasons and just because it works better for many processes. I would like to be able to ensure she has good product to work with.

/ Olive Farm in Provence France Photos #10  
Really nice Rox, that must be lots of work. I've been to Menton and Nice when I was in the Navy 30 years ago. Nice area.