Computer problem - auto config please wait

/ Computer problem - auto config please wait #1  

brad_oatley

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35D
While online, my monitor goes black for a couple of seconds and then it comes back on with an onscreen black dialogue box that says; auto config please wait.
The dialogue box stays onscreen for a couple of seconds and disappears, leaving my screen image intact. This is happening irregularly but with more frequency.
Any advice or ideas? Is the video card going bad?
Thanks in advance

/ Computer problem - auto config please wait #2  
Sounds like the "auto config" built in to your monitor. It selects screen sizing based on the resolution, refresh rate, etc. that your video card is putting out. If it is doing it often and you are not changing screen resolution I would say the monitor itself has issues.
I have worked in the PC field for over 10 years and have seen bad video cards, usually they either work or they don't. I have seen more problems arise from the "sleep" mode circuitry on monitors that seems to flake out after a while. Anyway you could hook the monitor up to another PC and see if it still does it? Or maybe try another monitor on your PC?

/ Computer problem - auto config please wait
Thanks alot. The monitor was new about 6/05. It's an Acer AL1912 19" LCD and has been trounle free until this. I guess I'm about to find out how the e-tailers handle warranty. I bought it from Tigerdirect for $180 after the manufacturer $30 rebate. A great price for a 19".

/ Computer problem - auto config please wait #4  
Well you said it right there, "Acer." I'll never forget, I was at Best Buy (who I no longer patronage) after Christmas returning something and there was a long line of people returning Acer Computers. I mean I saw at least 15 people returning Acer products. I thought to myself, "Self never buy and Acer"

/ Computer problem - auto config please wait #5  
Check the plug .. look for bent pins or pins pushed in. also bend the cable all around and look for problems while bending it.. may be a bad cable.. etc..

Soundguy

/ Computer problem - auto config please wait #6  
I'm thinking this is a driver issue...not hardware. If you're operating XP and there is more then one account, each account holder can set different video displays (resolution and such).
What video card do you have? it's possible your display driver may be corrupted. Easiest thing, right off the bat is (as Soundman said) check your connections...make sure no pins are bent and the connection is tight. If you're running an AGP or PCI card, make sure it's seated.
After that, download the latest drivers for your card...don't forget to uninstall the old drivers before installing new ones!