John Deere 51 broom rotation wrong

/ John Deere 51 broom rotation wrong #1  

bxbuster

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX2200
I originally posted this in the attachement discussions but thought maybe I should have posted it here so here goes:

I recently acquired a John Deere Model 51 broom for my BX and was hoping to weld up a mount to mate to my quick attach and get sweeping. I was very disappointed to find the Deere broom rotates the wrong direction . does anyone have knowledge on this model of broom that could offer some advice? Can I flip the gear box upside down etc? Any input would be appreciated as this broom would make an awesome addition to the BX.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

This is the broom here. http://www.stonehams.com/51in_broom.html I was hoping someone online had experience with it before tore into a losing battle.

Thanks again.
Mike

/ John Deere 51 broom rotation wrong #2  
Sometimes you can "flip" the Gearbox and change rotation-you might try it-

/ John Deere 51 broom rotation wrong #3  
I don't think that the Deere broom is "wrong". It may not be "right" for your application, but to say it is wrong, ain't right. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
You had some good ideas to help solve your problem in the "other" thread, but apparently they were not good enough for what you are looking for.

What are you looking for? Pictures would help, for those who posted on the 'other' thread were not clear about what you already had to work with, apparent by some of the suggestions.

As said in the other thread "my experience with the 51 broom was it worked just fine". Now it will be up to you to get your BX PTO to provide power in the reverse direction to run the PTO input to the broom, or you'll stay dead in the water. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ John Deere 51 broom rotation wrong
You are absolutely correct. Rotation wrong for my application would have been more accurate. If someone else stated they used a 51 broom without issue than my broom must have been converted. I was hoping someone with actual experience with this piece of equipment would know if it is reversible. I haven't given up hope yet as I think this broom is superior to the kubota model designed for the bx. I guess if nothing develops I could try to find a dealer that sells both brands for a half fair trade in? Thanks again to all that have replied.

Mike

/ John Deere 51 broom rotation wrong #5  
I have a Deere 4115 with a 51 broom. If you need pictures of it, I can send them to you. It mounts on a front quick hitch and operates with the mid pto. It would have been better if it was operated by hydraulics. Now I have to take the pto extension off the tractor to use the belly mower. So when I'm done cutting grass I have to pull the belly mower off and then put all the broom stuff on. So with this said I will be blowing my drive way off and only clean it when it needs the broom. Also i tried it this year on about an 1 1/2 of dry snow and it didn't work very good at all. I was told it could do up to 3" of dry snow but I must differ with that statement. My driveway is 70 yards of concrete 200' long in one direction and 100' towards my barn.

Could you possibly confirm the direction of shaft rotation for me? It's interesting to hear about the mower deck / broom dilemma since my BX is set up the same way. It does seem odd they would build them like that.
Thank you for the reply.

Mike

/ John Deere 51 broom rotation wrong #7  
When the PTO is on and you are in FRONT of the broom looking at the front of the tractor, The broom is rotating in an upward motion. this motion would throw debri forward. Also if I took the broom of and still stood in front of the tractor, The PTO is turning CCW. Hope this helps.

/ John Deere 51 broom rotation wrong #8  
The above post means I am looking at the broom ,Head lights, Front grill and so on. This is what I call the front of the tractor. Also if you where sitting on the seat looking TOWARDS the front of the tractor the PTO would turn CW.

That's a bummer. The kubota front pto rotates just the opposite.
Anyone have a service manual for the 51 broom?

Thanks,
Mike