fluids and capacities 850 john deere

/ fluids and capacities 850 john deere #1  

eric6274

Tractor
john deere 850
I just bought a John Deere 850 which is also a (yanmar ym2500). Does anyone know the correct oil weight and amount for the engine crankcase during an oil change with a filter?

/ fluids and capacities 850 john deere #2  
Depending on your average ambient temperature, I would probably recommend 15/40 oil. I think the 850 holds about 4.5 quarts. Congrats on your purchase of a great tractor. They are no frills, but rock solid dependable with reasonable care.

/ fluids and capacities 850 john deere #3  
My owners manual says 5 quarts of oil (seems to me I put in closer to 6 quarts to hit the full mark on a oil and filter change).
I run Rottella T sythetic 5w-40 motor oil in my 850.

/ fluids and capacities 850 john deere
Thanks for the reply. I ordered a manual but haven't recieved it yet. I bought the tractor for $4200 at an auction. It has 1180 hours on it, no leaks, very clean, 2 wheel drive. I can't wait untill nice weather gets here so I can use it.

/ fluids and capacities 850 john deere #5  
Depending on your average ambient temperature, I would probably recommend 15/40 oil. I think the 850 holds about 4.5 quarts. Congrats on your purchase of a great tractor. They are no frills, but rock solid dependable with reasonable care.
Thank you

/ fluids and capacities 850 john deere #6  
We have two 850s on the farm. Very dependable tractors. No frills to speak of, but they are 100% "let's just get this work done" tractors.

/ fluids and capacities 850 john deere #7  
I just bought a John Deere 850 which is also a (yanmar ym2500). Does anyone know the correct oil weight and amount for the engine crankcase during an oil change with a filter?

Engine oil per Deere/Yanmar,
Yanmar-oils JD spec manual.png

yanmar-oils.png

The Yanmar engines are built to JIS standards and not SAE. Going with 10W40 or 15W40 in the hot summer would retain heat in these engines longer. It's common to see heads warp or crack operation in hot temps with those heavier oils.

Yanmar strongly recommends 10W30 Rotella T4 or T5 diesel oil for summer and 5W30 for winter in colder climates, else 10W30 in just cool climates works all year. My place sees -22F in February for snow plowing, so the 5W30 is a must.

As for hydraulic fluid, be sure to buy 'meets or exceeds' J20C. J20C for the same formula is Yanmar TF500A and Hy-Gard. The TF500 without the A is J20B. It would still do the job, just sooner to change.

TF500A=J20C_.jpg