Optional "A-Frame Front Hitch" on 3x20/4x20?

/ Optional "A-Frame Front Hitch" on 3x20/4x20? #1  

bam747

Silver Member
Palmer Divide in El Paso County, Colorado
Tractor
John Deere 4720 (2007)
Optional \"A-Frame Front Hitch\" on 3x20/4x20?

I have the US JD brochure for the 3x20 and 4x20 series with the version number "DKA94 (05-01)" on the bottom left corner of the back page. The "performance" option section in the brochure for the 3x20 series lists a "Front A-Frame Hitch". Note that this option is NOT listed for the 4x20 series.

I have found zero mention of this front a-frame hitch option anywhere else on Deere's US website for the 3x20 series or in their online 3x20 series manual. I'm guessing that even the mention of this option in the US 3x20/4x20 brochure was a mistake.

However, I did some more web surfing and discovered that the front a-frame hitch (aka 3-point hitch) is an option on the "UK/GB Twenty Series" tractors. Check this link: UK Front A-Frame Hitch

Here's a web image of the front a-frame hitch:

20seriees_hitch.jpg

Here is the text description of the front A-frame hitch from the UK website:

--

Front A-frame hitch easily attaches to a wide variety of PTO driven and non PTO driven implements. The PTO can be driven from the mid or you can choose an independent engine PTO where the front is completely independent from the mid PTO for ultimate flexibility.

Sway bars and lateral float on the three point hitch allow the arms to raise or lower and move left or right slightly for faster hook-up to implement attachment points. Also available are telescopic lift arms or with a ball and claw, making implement adaptation easy.

--

Here is a link to the complete UK Twenty Series Online PDF Brochure.

Sure enough, right there on the front page of the brochure sits what looks like a 3x20 series tractor with UK cab AND front A-frame hitch! Of even more importance is this picture shows both the front A-frame hitch AND the FEL mounting masts on the same tractor at the same time. But, obviously, you are not going to be able to have the FEL itself installed AND use any implement attached to the front A-frame at the same time.

Further into the brochure are pictures of tractors with a hydraulically angled front snow blade attached to the front A-frame hitch and a spreader on the rear 3PH. Other pictures show front suitcase ballast weights hanging of the front a-frame hitch, a PTO driven front snow blower, a PTO driven front angle broom (being used to move snow), and even a PTO driven front finish mower.

Frankly, it looks like US buyers of 3x20 or 4x20 series tractors are getting the short end off the stick since Deere is only offering this front A-frame hitch and front PTO on European machines. What I wouldn't give to have that front A-Frame hitch and PTO here for use with a front mounted PTO driven snow blower! Or just the general utility of being able to use front mounted 3PH equipment in general rather than the very limited, expensive, and proprietary "front quick hitch" equipment offered in the US for the 3x20 series tractors only.

Anyone have any idea why in the world Deere wouldn't offer the European front A-frame 3PH and PTO here in the US? Yet another reason to dislike lawyers or marketing types? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Optional "A-Frame Front Hitch" on 3x20/4x20? #2  
Re: Optional \"A-Frame Front Hitch\" on 3x20/4x20?

This is available in the US, if you go the JD configurator for a 3020 tractor and choose a 59" front snowblower you will see it uses the new front 3 point hitch.

/ Optional "A-Frame Front Hitch" on 3x20/4x20? #3  

I knew a nice lawyer once.

/ Optional "A-Frame Front Hitch" on 3x20/4x20?

Sure enough!

Well, that was "obvious"! Go to a front mount attachment to find out the bundled part number to order the new front 3PH for the 3x20 series. But put that same TRACTOR part option in the TRACTOR configuration pages? Naw! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Anyway, for reference, the bundled "Front 3-Point Hitch with A-Frame Adapter (3120-3720)" is LVB24815. The configurator list price for this bundle is $1,040.

Caveats? Probably many...

Can you order the LVB24815 kit stand alone?

If so, can you end up with a standard 540 RPM front PTO to allow use of common, and less expensive, 540 RPM PTO driven implements?

I'm suspicious that the "front PTO" option only supports 2000 RPM attachments driven of the mid PTO via long PTO shafts. That means you're still forced to buy proprietary front mount PTO driven implements like JD's $3,350 (list) 59" front mount 2-stage snow blower.