Mosquito Donuts

/ Mosquito Donuts #1  

Geri

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1240
I found something called a mosquito donut to put in the horses water tank. They're suppose to kill larvae. Anybody familiar with these? Do they work?

/ Mosquito Donuts #2  
Don't know about them being safe for animals or not, but they are highly rated for standing water if used on a regular basis.

I was into the koi/gold fish pond thing pretty good a few years back and everything I read reckomended them.

I used them and think they helped. They wont stop the mesquitos, since there is always other water sources, but they did seem too kill and stop any more from livng in my small ponds.

Eddie

/ Mosquito Donuts #3  
We put a gold fish from the pet store in the water tank and we never had 1 mosquito from that day on. He lasted for 4 years with us and grew quite large.
When the horse left we sold it back to the pet shop for 8x the price we paid because it was so big and beautiful 4 yrs. later.
He also froze 1 yr. and when it thawed he was still there.
You do have to feed them in the winter a little.
Try it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Mosquito Donuts #4  
Geri,

I would not use them directly in the horse trough!! I've used them in different parts of the ravine that brings water into our large stock tank after our spring rainey season and there were standing pockets at various points of the ravine. They did a real fine job.

In the horse trough itself, if you never let it go dry, try the goldfish idea or a few minnows. That should work OK and you don't have to woory about negative affects on the horses. We have a two acre stock tank for watering stock, horses and cattle, and we never have one misquito. That tank is also full of channel cat and minnows too! The minnows eat every misquito larva they can find!!

/ Mosquito Donuts
The only thing I worry about with having fish is that we dump the tank every couple of weeks or so because we get dead birds and junk floating in the water. It might be kind of shocky changing the water that often.

/ Mosquito Donuts #6  
I use them in my horses water tank. My donkey even ate one! Nothing happened to him. They work well, and I have plenty of mosquitos looking for water now. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe