Help with Capacitor for Warner Linear Actuator.

/ Help with Capacitor for Warner Linear Actuator. #1  

DocHeb

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D Supersteer
I am using a Warner Electric 115v AC linear actuator in a project. It calls for a 35 mfd/240V capacitor across the two hot leads that are used for extension/retraction.

Does the mfd have to be exact - is there any leeway in the rating?

Does the voltage have to be exact - is it OK to use a capacitor rated > 240V?

What type of capacitor should be used - "motor run", "motor start", or other?

Thanks.

/ Help with Capacitor for Warner Linear Actuator. #2  
Leeway in ratings?
Probably does not have to be exact mfd. But I'd stay within 20%. Voltage rating should be no lower than what they specify but certainly can be higher.

Hope that helps,
Rich

/ Help with Capacitor for Warner Linear Actuator.
I've attached the wiring diagram from the unit. From the reading I've done on the web I think this would be a "motor run" capacitor rather than a "motor start" capacitor since it doesn't switch out after the motor starts. If anybody knows for sure it would be helpful - I don't know much about these matters.

Attachments

• 884872-Wiring Diagram.jpg
    884872-Wiring Diagram.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 841
   / Help with Capacitor for Warner Linear Actuator. #4  
That would be a run capacitor. I would keep the mfd the same, voltage rating can be higher. A 35 mfd 370 vac run cap is the most common used capacitor on a/c compressors, so should be easy to come by. Go to a hvac supply house in your area they will have one. Should cost less than $20.00. I have never seen a start capacitor rated that low.

/ Help with Capacitor for Warner Linear Actuator. #5  
That would be a run capacitor. I would keep the mfd the same, voltage rating can be higher. A 35 mfd 370 vac run cap is the most common used capacitor on a/c compressors, so should be easy to come by. Go to a hvac supply house in your area they will have one. Should cost less than $20.00. I have never seen a start capacitor rated that low.

Thanks Rich and hvac1. I am using the activator to move a bookshelf to access a "secret" passageway - just like in the movies.

Thanks Rich and hvac1. I am using the activator to move a bookshelf to access a "secret" passageway - just like in the movies.

/ Help with Capacitor for Warner Linear Actuator. #8  
Where does the secret passage way go to? And who else knows about it?

/ Help with Capacitor for Warner Linear Actuator. #9  
Where does the secret passage way go to? And who else knows about it?

Just a "goofing-around" thing - to access the root cellar in the basement without making it have a door.