TSC welding gas sales

/ TSC welding gas sales #1  

texbaylea

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST w/LA723 loader
Has anyone bought gas from TSC? How do prices compare? My local store has just added them to their stock and in some way I prefer to get my gasses from them. I am currently retooling and am replacing my old regulators, torch and hoses.

Vernon

/ TSC welding gas sales #2  
Vernon,
I have the same question. I am about ready to get a refill on my mig shielding gas cylinder. I have a size #4 by TSC's chart (43" height by 6.6" diameter, with a 125 capacity weighing 75 pounds). $19 charge for "non Thoroughbred" cylinder and $24.96 for the exchange with gas.
I have not yet called around to see if this is a good price for my area.
My tank has the word "SOLD" stamped on the top of the cylinder so it will qualify at TSC, not sure if a regular gas dealer will take my cylinder in exchange.
Farwell

/ TSC welding gas sales #3  
I've been getting my acetylene and oxygen at TSC for the past 3 years. It ISN'T cheap. But it isn't MUCH higher than a commercial "welding supply house" that's an hour drive from me. With fuel prices what they are, it's cheaper in the long run for me to buy at TSC. (Plus they're open later and on weekends)

I'm paying for convenience.

/ TSC welding gas sales
I bought my tanks about 30 years ago and kept the receipt in a plastic sheet protector in the file cabinet where my tool manuals are. I have never had a problem with a dealer refusing to exchange. My tanks are out of date now so I need to check with a welding supply to find out what the added fee will be. I had thought that TSC would be more of a convienence matter than a bargin.

Vernon

/ TSC welding gas sales #5  
Can anyone else shed some light on the TSC torch-tanks business ??

For several years, we rented the medium/large sized tanks from a welding supply company that ran a route truck.

The gases were no more expensive than I expected, but they were constantly billing us :eek: for rather expensive "tank rental", "tank inspection", etc. etc., until we finally asked them just how much would it cost us for them to remove the tanks and never bill us ever again.:mad:

I have checked around and asked around about some of the other companies that service our area and they don't seem to be any better.

Not a single one of them in our area will fill a non-rented tank, period.

I got the brochures at TSC and have been studying them.

The way I understand it, I buy the tanks and they are MINE; then, when I take them in, they trade tanks with me for only the cost of the gases, RIGHT ??

Are they gonna slam me with a bunch of hidden fees every few weeks and make me regret fooling with them ??

Please enlighten me.

Thanks.:)

/ TSC welding gas sales #6  
Well, the tanks are yours, sorta....
You own a bottle, just not a particular one, except the one that's in your posession. You go where ever you want with it. No lease fees and your not tied to a particular supplier.

My Dad had bought tanks some 30 years ago, I inherited them when he passed. I've filled them at several suppliers over the years and never had an issue but once. The supplier wouldn't fill because the tank had another suppliers name on it. (even though it was an exchange & I owned the tanks)
I took the tank back home, wirebrushed the name off and then went and exchanged it.
The last couple of years, I've been using TSC. Cost a tad more but they are open on weekends and easier to deal with. (plus, you can't buy tractor stuff at the welding supply house;))

Bearkiller: correct, no hidden fees. The only thing I pay is for gas.

/ TSC welding gas sales #7  
Another idea is NAPA auto parts,dont know if all do but my local sore exchanges tanks, havent checked prices tho yet.

/ TSC welding gas sales #9  
I've had a TSC MIG tank for a little more than three years. I've exchanged it once. When I ran out, I brought my original tank in, put it in a cart near the front of the store, and a guy brought out a new tank. I think mine is the 20 cu. ft. size, and I think I paid about a $100 for it initially. When I exchanged it about a year ago, I believe it was about $20.

I don't use a lot of shielding gas, as I mostly use flux wire. It is a lot easier/cheaper than the old days when I rented oxy-acetylene tanks. I could only get them refilled where they came from, and they sent me bills four times a year for tank rental.

I'm happy with the TSC service.

/ TSC welding gas sales #10  
Iget all my welding gases at TSC,its awful handy.Simply take in your approved tank in,walk out with a refilled one.Its espensive buying the tank ,the first time ,but after that your only paying for gas.Kind of hard to take ,buying a brand new tank,and immediatly trading it in for a used one full of gas:D
ALAN