Husky GTH 2548

/ Husky GTH 2548 #1  

ToadHill

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35, Ford 8N, Oliver Cletrac
I now have 50 hours on my Husky GTH 2548. I changed the oil and lubed all the fittings at 25 hours. My confusion comes from the 2 manuals that came with the unit. The owners manual says to change the oil every 25 hours and the Filter every 50 hours. Further down in the same section of the maintenance chart they say to change the filter every 100 hours.
The manual for the Kohler Command engine that came with the unit says change oil every 100 hours and filter every 200 hours.

1. Why the difference?
2. Which recommendation is correct?
3. If this were a car 100 hours would equate to 6,000 miles at 60 mph. This seems like a long interval for an oil change.

/ Husky GTH 2548
I now have 50 hours on my Husky GTH 2548. I changed the oil and lubed all the fittings at 25 hours. My confusion comes from the 2 manuals that came with the unit. The owners manual says to change the oil every 25 hours and the Filter every 50 hours. Further down in the same section of the maintenance chart they say to change the filter every 100 hours.
The manual for the Kohler Command engine that came with the unit says change oil every 100 hours and filter every 200 hours.

1. Why the difference?
2. Which recommendation is correct?
3. If this were a car 100 hours would equate to 6,000 miles at 60 mph. This seems like a long interval for an oil change.

/ Husky GTH 2548 #3  
Never mind the manuals, they are as confused as the rest of us /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

With a Kohler Command or any other new OHV engine, change the oil and filter once a season (year), and use synthetic oil- expensive, but you only need to buy 2 quarts. It is doubtful you will put 100 hours of use on the machine in a year, but of you bust 50 hours the synthetic can go to the 100 hour mark easily.

It is best if you don't use the machine for anything during the winter to change the oil and filter in the fall when you are done using it. It does not harm the new oil to let it sit during the winter storage months, yet old oil contains acids from engine blowby that can interact with the aluminum engine block and create residue or varnish that will sit inside the engine's lower crankcase.

-Fordlords-

/ Husky GTH 2548 #4  
Never mind the manuals, they are as confused as the rest of us /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

With a Kohler Command or any other new OHV engine, change the oil and filter once a season (year), and use synthetic oil- expensive, but you only need to buy 2 quarts. It is doubtful you will put 100 hours of use on the machine in a year, but of you bust 50 hours the synthetic can go to the 100 hour mark easily.

It is best if you don't use the machine for anything during the winter to change the oil and filter in the fall when you are done using it. It does not harm the new oil to let it sit during the winter storage months, yet old oil contains acids from engine blowby that can interact with the aluminum engine block and create residue or varnish that will sit inside the engine's lower crankcase.

-Fordlords-

/ Husky GTH 2548 #5  
The tractor manual recommends the shorter interval because of the dirty, dusty environment a lawn tractor sees, where as the engine manufacturer has recommended a longer interval that's perfectly acceptable for use as a stationary power plant in a generator, etc. That answers your questions 1 & 2. And if the motor was used as a stationary power plant for a generator, or pump, it would most likely run in LOOOOOONG continuous sessions non-stop, so a hundred hours would be just over 4 days. That's a much different thing than the start-run-stop, start-run-stop cycle of a car or of a tractor. So I'd go with the shorter intervals recommended in the tractor manual.

/ Husky GTH 2548 #6  
The tractor manual recommends the shorter interval because of the dirty, dusty environment a lawn tractor sees, where as the engine manufacturer has recommended a longer interval that's perfectly acceptable for use as a stationary power plant in a generator, etc. That answers your questions 1 & 2. And if the motor was used as a stationary power plant for a generator, or pump, it would most likely run in LOOOOOONG continuous sessions non-stop, so a hundred hours would be just over 4 days. That's a much different thing than the start-run-stop, start-run-stop cycle of a car or of a tractor. So I'd go with the shorter intervals recommended in the tractor manual.