Simplicity ZTR front wheel wiggle

/ Simplicity ZTR front wheel wiggle #1  

m60mgman

My new 2006 Simplicity Citation's front wheels wiggle when I am going fast (8 to 9 mph) on my concrete driveway, which is slightly sloped and canted. They wave left/right rapidly and it seems to be a resonance relating to the springs and shocks up front, especially after I hit a bit of a bump. It does not happen on the grass, or on level smooth pavement. I tried adjusting the spring pre-load, and even lowered the tire pressure a bit, but they still wiggle. Any suggestions? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Simplicity ZTR front wheel wiggle
My new 2006 Simplicity Citation's front wheels wiggle when I am going fast (8 to 9 mph) on my concrete driveway, which is slightly sloped and canted. They wave left/right rapidly and it seems to be a resonance relating to the springs and shocks up front, especially after I hit a bit of a bump. It does not happen on the grass, or on level smooth pavement. I tried adjusting the spring pre-load, and even lowered the tire pressure a bit, but they still wiggle. Any suggestions? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Simplicity ZTR front wheel wiggle #3  
Might just be the nature of the beast/casters. If you go grocery shopping, Ill bet that you can find a shopping cart that does the same thing.

/ Simplicity ZTR front wheel wiggle #4  
Might just be the nature of the beast/casters. If you go grocery shopping, Ill bet that you can find a shopping cart that does the same thing.

/ Simplicity ZTR front wheel wiggle #5  
I suggest the caster design is slightly out of line, either from becomming bent or manufactured that way in the first place. That or an adjustment isn't quite tuned in.

/ Simplicity ZTR front wheel wiggle #6  
I suggest the caster design is slightly out of line, either from becomming bent or manufactured that way in the first place. That or an adjustment isn't quite tuned in.

/ Simplicity ZTR front wheel wiggle #7  
I think that is somewhat normal. Several years ago I used a Grasshopper ZTR for commercial mowing and I had the same thing on the front wheels when running back to the trailer or going down a gravel road at (relative) high speeds. I must not have been the only person to complain because Grasshopper actually had a kit (to buy) that stopped that. It basically is a dampening kit and works by preventing the front casters from free wheeling with no load on them.

Since most people just use their mowers in the grass and don't run down roads or driveways the manufacturers do not see what you are describing as a defect. I don't know if Simplicity makes a commercial series mower but, if they do, I'd guess that they have a kit to stop what you are describing. I think the Grasshopper kit cost me like $50 or something around there. It was worth that to me to not have the darn front wheels doing the wobble dance.

/ Simplicity ZTR front wheel wiggle #8  
I think that is somewhat normal. Several years ago I used a Grasshopper ZTR for commercial mowing and I had the same thing on the front wheels when running back to the trailer or going down a gravel road at (relative) high speeds. I must not have been the only person to complain because Grasshopper actually had a kit (to buy) that stopped that. It basically is a dampening kit and works by preventing the front casters from free wheeling with no load on them.

Since most people just use their mowers in the grass and don't run down roads or driveways the manufacturers do not see what you are describing as a defect. I don't know if Simplicity makes a commercial series mower but, if they do, I'd guess that they have a kit to stop what you are describing. I think the Grasshopper kit cost me like $50 or something around there. It was worth that to me to not have the darn front wheels doing the wobble dance.