IH 584 or Oliver 1750

/ IH 584 or Oliver 1750 #1  

bcarwell

Gold Member
Tractor
Kabota 7500DT
What can you tell me about either of these tractors I should be aware if I am considering a purchase ? Any gotchas, weird, expensive, or bad expensive characteristics ? The IH is listed for $3500 with less than 2000 hours and needs "brake adjustments" which I would assume even with a brake job couldn't run that much...

Thanks, Bob

/ IH 584 or Oliver 1750 #2  
   / IH 584 or Oliver 1750 #3  
Hammerfour is correct about Yesterday's Tractor forum, lots of good knowledge on those older tractors. I do know this about the 584....They were/are solid tractors when maintained reasonably. The brake problems could be expensive, as they are wet brakes mounted inboard and involve valving and seals to control the braking pressures. It could be as simple as bleeding the air out of them, but count on the worst. Another potential expensive problem could be the parking brake. It is a band inside the transmission housing. If the tractor is driven with the brake applied the lining can be chewed up and circulated through the hydraulic system. The good points are heavy weight, a dependable engine, and the 8 forward/4 reverse speed synchronized transmission.

/ IH 584 or Oliver 1750 #4  
Two completely different tractors. The 584 is a utility tractor while the 1750 is a farm tractor. I don't know much about the 584 but did once own an Oliver 1755 (newer version of the 1750). The 1750 was a good tough approx 80 HP tractor. They were built in the mid to late '60s. Most were diesel but a few were gas. Earlier versions had a 6 speed trans with a 2 speed hydro power drive, later versions had a 3 speed powershift for a total of 18 speeds forward (2 x 3 for reverse). Good hydraulics, live PTO, cat II 3 pt hitch, dry brakes (easy to work on), power steering, 16.9 or 18.4 x 34 or 38 rear tires, heavy (solid cast iron frame). The 1750 could be a good loader tractor because of the solid hydraulics, but shifting from forward to reverse requires good technique.

It will depend on what you hope to do with a tractor that will help you decide which is best (utility or farm work).

OrangeGuy