ZTR .... is an actual 0" radius possible?

/ ZTR .... is an actual 0" radius possible? #1  

Sigma

Bronze Member
I now have about 20 hours on my ZF50. I did cut my mowing time in about 1/2 from using a conventional garden tractor (2hr 15min down to 1 hr 15min.).

However, when mowing around small trees (1" diameter) I find myself going part of the way around, backing up, going around some more, and backing up. Way faster than with my WheelHorse tractor, but still not zipping right around in one quick circle.

Since my 50" deck sticks out of the middle of the mower and the ZF rotates around the inside rear tire (when it is all but stopped), I can't mow around a small tree w/o backing up.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a trick?

Or is my ZF50 a ZTR mower, just a zero radius as measured from the rear axle, not the edge of the mower deck?

My mowing time did get cut in half, so I'm not complaining. Just wondering if anyone else has the same issue.

Greg

/ ZTR .... is an actual 0" radius possible? #2  
Sigma said:
I now have about 20 hours on my ZF50. I did cut my mowing time in about 1/2 from using a conventional garden tractor (2hr 15min down to 1 hr 15min.).

However, when mowing around small trees (1" diameter) I find myself going part of the way around, backing up, going around some more, and backing up. Way faster than with my WheelHorse tractor, but still not zipping right around in one quick circle.

Since my 50" deck sticks out of the middle of the mower and the ZF rotates around the inside rear tire (when it is all but stopped), I can't mow around a small tree w/o backing up.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a trick?

Or is my ZF50 a ZTR mower, just a zero radius as measured from the rear axle, not the edge of the mower deck?

My mowing time did get cut in half, so I'm not complaining. Just wondering if anyone else has the same issue.

Greg

I really hate to tell you this.
ZTR is a joke and just close
Jim

/ ZTR .... is an actual 0" radius possible?
My mowing time did get cut way down, so I'm not disappointed in the mower at all. And when mowing, you can turn 180 degrees and head back the opposite direction very quickly ... which I do way more than I go around trees. So, it does have a zero turn radius, it just about the center of the mower, not the edge of the mowing deck.

/ ZTR .... is an actual 0" radius possible? #4  
MrJimi said:
I really hate to tell you this.
ZTR is a joke and just close
Jim

Stick a pencil in the ground and TRY and make a 180 around it?
Lots of luck
Jim

/ ZTR .... is an actual 0" radius possible?
That is what I was saying .... I can't.

Technically, the zero radius can be done about either: The inside rear tire (if it is stopped), or the center of the rear axle (if it had a solid axle) (if both rear tires were rotating at the same speed in the opposite directions.

Bottom line: You can't (that I can tell) mow around a small tree in one circle.

/ ZTR .... is an actual 0" radius possible? #6  
While you are investigating the ZTR plausibility I have a quick question that I hope you may be able to answer.

I am looking to buy a new Cub Cadet ZTR mower. I am leaning toward the Cub Cadet RZT 50. It has a stamped deck. I have heard mixed feelings about the decks in comparison between the RZT and the Z-Force. Do you have any advice or opinions for me? It would be much appreciated.

The RZT is about $1000 cheaper.