Considering Case 485 1986 model

/ Considering Case 485 1986 model #1  

fyrmnk

Hi all, had been looking at Fords, now considering a 1986 Case 485 45 hp diesel with 586 hours, selling for $5850.

I haven't found much about these in my research. Good, bad and ugly on this model would be greatly appreciated.

Is it a good price. Other sales sites I've checked seem to indicate the price is right, but UiI'm uncertain.

Also, does this have live power PTO?

Thanks in advance.

/ Considering Case 485 1986 model #2  
I've been told the transmissions are weak and troublesome. I have a 1975 John Deere 1530, 45 PTO HP, diesel, bought it in 2004 with 1588 hours and was happy to pay $5500 for it, most are selling at $8000 or more in my area. I'd buy a Ford or Deere from that era before a Case, but that's just my opinion.

/ Considering Case 485 1986 model #3  
The CaseIH 485 is the next version of the IH 484. It is an extremely rugged tractor. The only problem with the transmission that I have heard of is the parking brake is in there, a band around a shaft. If the tractor is run with the brake on it will eat the lining, requiring the top to be pulled to repair. And the lining material might get into the hyd system and require cleaning the MPV. Like anything else, check the condition. If half way maintained these are rugged tractors, and heavy enough to use the power. The hours are low, and the price is great on that tractor. That is the only thing that would concern me, check it over good. If you ned more info on that series tractor, let me know.