Trailer For tractor

/ Trailer For tractor #1  

mitchash

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra MAX 28XL, Jinma 254 (Sold)
I am looking to buy a trailer for my Jinma 254 (when I get it), I will have a loader and someday a backhoe, what would I need and how much for a trailer to haul it? The trailer needs to be lite enough for a 1/2 ton pick up (have Chevy Z71 with heavy duty trailer package). Thanks, Ash

/ Trailer For tractor #2  
I just recently hauled a 254 with the backhoe, PH digger, bush hog, and scraper. I figured that the scraper and the PH digger were each about 350, the mower about 450, the tractor with loader and hoe about 4K. I had a bunch of other stuff in the trailer, and every time i went the speed limit, a tire would vaporize. Moral: get a bigger trailer than you need. Your typical car carrier of 6 - 7 thousand should be sufficient, as long as you dont put a lot of extra stuff on with it.

/ Trailer For tractor #3  
The common size for what you want is a 16-18 foot bed with 2 x 3500lb axles. The trailer will weigh about 1500lb so that leaves a capacity of 5500 - 6000lb (some weight will be on the tongue.) Look for an equipment trailer that has feet under the ramps so the tractor does not lift your truck as you drive on. I bought one this spring from a local mfg and he charges about $1.00/lb for most of his trailers. That came to $1470 tax included for me. Most other places around here were about $400 higher.

Brad

/ Trailer For tractor #4  
I recently bought me a new trailer to haul mine with, 284 with ZL20 loader and JW03 hoe, it is 18' (16 + 2 dove tail) and has one brake axel and I wish I had dual brakes (both axels) it has 2x12 std decking which was WAS painted gloss black like the trailer. After I got it home it wasn't painted underneath, so I HAD to paint that gallon of black & hardner and a few brushes. I laid down on a ole tarp and poainted away, 5~6 hrs work over 2 days. yucky lol :eek: anyhow I haven't had the tractor on it for a road trip, I've hauled a bunch other stuff, (6' brush hog, 2 btm plow and 6' blade all at once) used the tractor (with back hoe on) to remove the items from the trailer and it didn't squat TOO bad but sure looked to be well loaded. I would estimate that the loader tractor and backhoe all 3 would be about as much as the 7k trailer rating could muster behind my truck or any other truck for sure. I should have held out for a 10K trailer :( I ended up painting the deck on top too and added SAND to the wet paint to give it some no slip grip which worked out VERY well.

anyhow have fun with the new toy and get some good chains and binders. here it requires 4 chain tie locations to properly support anything heavy on a trailer. HF has some onsale 5/16 truckers chains gold colored ones which DOT requires. I got binders there too. I belive you can use 2 chains if they are long enough to TIE each corner independantly from the other half of the chain so that if ONE chain corner came off the other 3 are still bound tightly.

hope that helps.

MarkM

/ Trailer For tractor #5  
I bought out a trailer manufacturing company that was in business for 25 years and we ran it for 12 years before we closed it, so I will give you some info of what I know about the market.
Get a 7000 GVWR trailer (2 3500lb axles)
brakes on both axles, if you don't you will regret it hauling with a 1/2 ton
Make sure it has ST type trailer tires, some cut cost and use car tires or used tires.
Make sure the underside is painted
look close at the welds on the spring hangers, there is some real junk being sold out there.
you want ground braced ramps.
break away set up for the brakes.
A good reliable manufacturer is Hurst trailers in washburn, TN
They have dealers in NY. They make a strong trailer and are reasonable on price. check here http://www.vic.com/hurst/
They prefer you talk to one of there dealers, but if you call Hurst direct ask for Stan, tell him Jim from ETC told you to call for info.

/ Trailer For tractor #6  
I bought mine when I bought the tractor. Mine is 18 foot dove trailer with ramps built in. It holds 7000 lbs, has dual axles and brakes, painted through and through and has the brackets welded on to put sides on it for other use. I have a Dodge 1500 and it pulls it easily with no problems braking. I paid $2,000 for it, but it's heavy duty, well built and I use it for so many things. One of the best things I've every bought. I use heavy dutiy stabilizers (Jacks) under the rear of the trailer so the truck doesn't get picked up when I drive the tractor on it.

/ Trailer For tractor #7  
I'm going to go out on a limb and mention Down To Earth trailers. I have looked long and hard at trailers and am in the process of taking on the Down To Earth line. I think that from a value per dollar spent point of view, they are hard to beat!

The 7,000 lb equipment trailer they make has 6" channel main frame and tongue, 3" channel cross members, stand up ramps with the built in stands so you don't pick the truck up, and they won't even build one without brakes on BOTH axles. There are plenty of stake pockets on them for tie down points too.

I would buy the 18" at least if you plan on hauling more than just the tractor and loader and 20" may be even better.

Another thing to look at would be to upgrade to a 10,000LB trailer. For the little more it will cost, you won't need to swest it if you use it to haul lumber or building materials and you may just get a bigger truck next time too.

Where I live, as long as you stay at 10,000lbs or less, there are no problems with registration but 10,001 and over, I need combination plates and a medical card!

Ken

/ Trailer For tractor #8  
montanaman said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and mention Down To Earth trailers. I have looked long and hard at trailers and am in the process of taking on the Down To Earth line. I think that from a value per dollar spent point of view, they are hard to beat!

The 7,000 lb equipment trailer they make has 6" channel main frame and tongue, 3" channel cross members, stand up ramps with the built in stands so you don't pick the truck up, and they won't even build one without brakes on BOTH axles. There are plenty of stake pockets on them for tie down points too.

I would buy the 18" at least if you plan on hauling more than just the tractor and loader and 20" may be even better.

Another thing to look at would be to upgrade to a 10,000LB trailer. For the little more it will cost, you won't need to swest it if you use it to haul lumber or building materials and you may just get a bigger truck next time too.

Where I live, as long as you stay at 10,000lbs or less, there are no problems with registration but 10,001 and over, I need combination plates and a medical card!

Ken

Don't know about the brake part their web site says brakes are a option
look:
Equipment Hauler: Down 2 Earth Trailers offers high quality Equipment Haulers at a competitive price in Baxley, Georgia.
and
Car Hauler: Down 2 Earth Trailers offers high quality Tilt Deck Car Haulers at a competitive price in Baxley, Georgia..

I don't see on their site where they are a registered manufacturer with the S.A.E. or NATM. do they manufacture to the spec's approved by the D.O.T?
many don't, the ones who usually are not registered with the above and do not submit their trailers to weight and load testing. Another is do they have a World manufactuers ID number issued by the S.A.E and that number registered with the D.O.T, some manufacture under one name and issue a certificate of origin under another name, just incase their trailer folds and hurts or kills someone, if they do not meet the D.O.T early warning reporting requirements. Just information for people who don't know, there is more to buying a trailer then you see on the surface, after all if the manufacturer does not comply its your butt if something happens.

I live about 1 hour from Butler, don't know about a medical card unless you drive with a CDL and over 26,000 lb. I have combination plates on my super duty registered for 21,000 lb and never had a medical card for that and have been weighed on the portable scales in the Beaver falls area, Did have one to drive my KW though, but never was asked for it when I was weighed with my super duty and gooseneck. Maybe this is new, will have to ask my wife, she is a Notary and does Plates and such.