Hydraulic Fluid Overfill

/ Hydraulic Fluid Overfill #1  

lacamo

Bronze Member
I recently changed the fluids in my old Ford 641. After draining the 3 compartments (tranny, rear, hyrdaulic) I added new SAE 80 according to capacities in the manual. When I checked the hydraulic fluid dipstick, it read a bit over the full line. Should I remove some of it? Can I pop a seal or line if it's overfull?

Thanks.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Overfill #3  
lacamo said:
When I checked the hydraulic fluid dipstick, it read a bit over the full line. Should I remove some of it? Can I pop a seal or line if it's overfull?

Thanks.

A bit? Me, I would not worry.
Bob

/ Hydraulic Fluid Overfill
KennyV said:
Is SAE 80 correct for your hydraulic system??? Seems wrong to me... KennyV.

The mechanic at a local tractor repair shop recommended using SAE 80 in all three reservoirs: transmission, rear end and hydraulics (PTO). Should I drain it and refill with the same hydraulic fliud as in my Massey?

/ Hydraulic Fluid Overfill #5  
If your local tractor repair shop is recommending SAE80 as the hydraulic fluid … I guess that tractor has a very different hydraulic pump and relief valve than most tractors… ? I think you might check with Ford as to what viscosity should be used. KennyV.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Overfill #6  
Get my email.. I'll hook you up with a new piston pump when you'rs blows up from the 80w oil in it. Get a small garbage bag and start stuffing it full of cash now, in preperation for buying the new pump...

Check your manual... the hydro section takes 134d rated utf oil.. Aw32/46 would also work ok. 80w oil will make the pump cavitate on the input side.. and the vaslving is not setup for that viscosity of oil... A cavitating pump is like a piece of dynamite with a burning fuse... eventually it will blow up...

Gear oil in the diffy, or utf. Gear oil int he trans, or utf. Utf int he hyds, or aw32/46. If your sumps interleak .. UTF in all.

Your hydro sump can be quite a bit overfull to make up for SA cyl loss. The sump on my 660 is a gallon overfull because my ford 722 loader is plumbed of fthe tractors hyds via 2 spools on the hyd top cover, and runs a large sa lift cyl.

I'm serious about that 4gpm pump the hundred series uses. You will faint when you find out what a replacement costs.

The last ford that used 90wt oil in the hydro section was the 8n in 52.. that was an open sump machine, and had a low tolerance scotch yoke piston pump that had a submerged inlet...

Oh yeah... find the tractor repair shops phone number in your phone book and tear it out.. before he gives you any more WRONG advice on that classic old ford. He obviously has no earthly idea what he is doing... At this point.. I couldn't help but feel that any info from him is in question.. I'd never feel comfortable about him doing ANYTHING to my tractor after that kind of disinformation he gave you.

Your tractor manual clearly states that Ford M-4864-A oil, or M2C41 oil ( temperature dependent ) oil is specified in that hyd system. CNH M2C134D oil superceded those numbers. Get UTF oil tha meets the 134D specs for that hydro system...

Soundguy

I certainly will check on this asap; it did seem that the 3ph lift/drop was sluggish since I replaced the fluids. I though this was due to the overfill I started this thread about. I'd be surprised if the guy who told me this was wrong; I actually asked for a couple of gallons of hydraulic fluid and he convinced me otherwise. Strange, cause he's been around tractors all his life and operates a successful sales & repair shop. Thanks --

Thanks -- I certainly will never, ever deal with this clown again. I've actually used the tractor very little since the fluid replacement. Do you think the pump is trashed?

/ Hydraulic Fluid Overfill #9  
Probably not yet. Cavitation starts at a very small level where material erodes from the metal in the pump where micro vapor pressure problems are causing pockets of vapor to form then implode due to the negative rpessure created from the thick oil.

The other area of problem is in overload situations.. the relief valve does not have the flow rate tolerances to pass that heavy oil like it could a thinner oil.. thus if you overloade dthe system with a super heave load.. or a shock load.. the oil actually couldn't leave the system thru the relief fast enough.. thus making orings, and seals blow. If you havn't use dit much.. and it worked when you put it away.. I'd say the latter situation has no occoured. The cavitation may or may not have started.. .. if it's been only a very short time.. I'd change the oil and not worry about it. I fthe pump was not whining or making vibration / moaning noises.. then cavitation has not been bad yet.

Reguardless of whether he has been working on tractors a long time or not.. he plain doesn't have his facts straight. He may remember that the ford N series used it.. and then got it mixed up.. either way.. it was at your tractors expense... If he was a good business man.. he should refund your money on the gear oil.. or give you some utf free.. However.. I'd be hesitant to even go back to him... It's up to you whether you infor him of the error or not. if you do and he makes a big deal out of it.. I'd make sure I put a complaint into record at your local BBB. His faulty memory is no match for what is printe din black and white in the op manual for that tractor...

Soundguy

Thank you soooo much for the suggestions. The oil is draining out right now and I've already bought the correct hydraulic fluid at the local John Deere dealer. You're right about this clown's mixup -- he's the one who actually found the tractor for me (5 years ago, though); probably "remembered" it as an 8N. The JD technicians are very skilled and careful (they service my other tractors and equipment), so, in the future, I will turn to them when I have a question. Once again, on behalf of the 641 and myself, thanks!!