5234d cub cadet

/ 5234d cub cadet #1  

natem1984

Just would like to hear from any one that has this model. I am very interested in buying this one. My local dealer right down the street has this one on sale. I like the looks of it and the location of the loader joy stick. I will be useing this to move light loads of dirt around, roll piles of leaves, and mabey a 3 point hitch chipper. The dealer has it on sale for $11,299.00 for tractor and loader, is that a good price???? I just wonder how good it is. I have saw some people on here have had problems with them, and others love them.
Thanks for the feed back.

/ 5234d cub cadet #2  
I owned two 5234D Cub tractors. The first one had the transmission repaired once, then totally replaced. The front axle locked up, when that happened the replaced tranny broke. Instead of fixing it they gave me a brand new 5234D. The new one had a "bad" engine, as Cub Cadet put it, and could not be fixed. They offered me a third tractor. I declined.

When the tractor worked it was great, I really liked it. Plenty of power and a great 60" MMM. Make sure the tractor you are looking at is NOT a 2004 model. They are still out there. They had the tranny and front axle problems. The second tractor I had, with the bad engine, was a 2006 model. I think that my engine problem was probably an isolated problem. The Diahatsu diesel in my 2004 model ran very well and was quite powerful. The Diahatsu diesel is used in the 2006 model as well. I would avoid a 2005 model because you may get one of those questionable trannys.

/ 5234d cub cadet
thank you for the in put. i will make sure of the model tomorow.

/ 5234d cub cadet #4  
have you made your decision yet?? i have some input for you if you are still unsure...

/ 5234d cub cadet #5  
Apparently Yanmar will be building compact tractors and sub-compact tractors for Cub Cadet sometime in the near future. If you must have a Cub I would wait for the change. If you need a sub-compact now I would buy the JD 2305, Massey GC2300, Kubota BX2350 or the New Holland TZ series not neccessarily in that order.

The Cub 5000 and 6000 series are built in house by Cub. If you buy one of these tractors it would be smart to buy an extended warranty agreement. I am not a big fan of extended warranties but on these tractors I am. You may even get Cub (the dealer will have to get this approved by Cub, but it can be done with a phone call) to add an additional year of warranty for free.

/ 5234d cub cadet #6  
Does that price include a mower? If not, the price you were given doesn't strike me as that great of a deal. With a little haggling I suspect you could get a NH TZ series, or Case-IH DXE series for about the same price. Price being no object, either of these is probably a better deal given some of the 5234 reliability issues that have been discussed in this forum.

That being said, I am the very happy owner of a 5252 and would have not a problem recommending this tractor to anyone. For the money nothing else can touch it. Very strong hydraulics, a great mower and a FEL that is beefier than most.

I have neither the 4 wheel drive or Daihatsu engine that gave people like Hard problems.

Keep us posted.

/ 5234d cub cadet #7  
Mike, you have the same hyrostatic tranny as the 5234D. My original trans broke down, was repaired...broke again, was replaced...broke yet again along with the front axle...tractor replaced. I was just mowing the lawn...

/ 5234d cub cadet #8  
Hard, Fully aware I have the same transmission as you. I am merely sharing my experiences.

I have had no transmission problems to date.

I like my tractor and would recommend it to anyone.

Deal with it.

/ 5234d cub cadet #9  
Mike, good luck with your tractor. However, I hope that when you are making a recommendation that you at least let that person know of the well documented, significant, problems of the 5000 Series. Cub Cadet is very aware of them.

My recommendation would be to wait until Yanmar is building a Cub sub-cut if you must buy a Cub. In the meantime, there are several other very good choices in the sub-cut market.

/ 5234d cub cadet #10  
Hard,

We're all very sorry for the bad experience you had w/ your 5000 series. However, your experiences are not consistent w/ mine. A couple points:

1. You mention fairly authoritatively that Yanmar is going to begin manufacturing CC CUTs and Sub-Cuts. That would certainly be big news, but I haven't seen this anywhere. In the last thread I saw on this subject I thought the consensus was the JD would probably frown on this, and furthermore probably only related to the 7500 series and not the 5000/6000 series tractors. Can you provide any more information on this, or is this just your personal belief?

2. There is no doubt you had a bad experience with the 5000 series tractors. From all the reviews I've read on these tractors (both on this site and others), while there are (were?) some issues with some tractors, most people by and large love their 5000 series. It appears to me most of the problem tractors were isolated to the 2004 model year. I take issue when you lump all 5000 series tractors from all model years together and call them bad tractors. This creates a false perception - when anyone does have an issue, its no longer a normal maintance or warranty issue that can be fixed, but rather just another indication of a bad tractor and how stupid anyone must be for buying it. This just isn't fair.

3. I struggle to understand your hostility towards cub cadet. From my recollection you put about 200 hours on two different tractors, and then at the end of the day got 100% of your money back so you could go buy a different color tractor. I would say cub cadet really stood behind their product and took care of you. To me that's the real take away.

4. Are we to assume everytime someone brings up a sub-CUT cub cadet you are going to chime in and let us know about your bad experience? Do me a favor, when you do this will you also let them know they totally stood behind their product and completely reimbursed your money after 200 hours?

Kindest Regards,

Mike

Last edited: